Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Followed your RE-INSTALL advice...

• Please log in to reply

dogsoul

dogsoul

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, THAT was a mistake... now that I've uninstalled windows per your suggestions - for some reason when I use a boot disk to try & reinstall, I get error msgs saying that my cd rom driver isn't there & it aborts the install. I've tried EVERYTHING to fix this but to no avail. HOW do I load up the cd rom driver onto my HARD drive from a floppy so that the install will go thru... or whatEVER will get this thing to work again.....

Frustrated beyond belief....

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
When did we advise you to re-install? <_<

Looks like you need Windows 98 boot disks. Download here: http://www.biazzi.or...cs/boot98se.exe

Run the file you downloaded with a blank floppy to create a boot disk. Restart your computer using this bootdisk, and type e:/setup.exe at the command prompt. (if needed, change e: to the letter of your CD-ROM drive).

dogsoul

dogsoul

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I followed the instructions at the top of this forum - those for re-installing windows w/out losing your data. I've already tried what you're suggesting & I can't get to that step because for some reason the CD ROM driver isn't being recognized or doesn't exist. It says something like NO CD ROM DRIVER DETECTED, ABORTING SETUP - or something...

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Did you download that boot disk and try again?