Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New Computer...

• Please log in to reply

smittyd

smittyd

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
I am in the market for a new computer. Would anyone have an opinion on whether it would be good idea to buy a "discontinued" model? Specifically, it's a Dell I660-3034. Or can I get a recommendation of a good computer to get. Dell? HP? I would like at least 6MB of Ram and 1 TB hard drive. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks...

Advertisements

Zolton33

Zolton33

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
The pc is alright but i would recommend building your own if you feel comfortable with it.It comes with only a 300w psu (power supply unit) so graphics cards upgrades will be limited. And if i were to buy a psu regardless because this one is weak you are better off not paying for the brand name and picking parts and installing them yourself. if you can give us a max budget for what you can spend along with any parts you plan to use (your old monitor if you have 1 mouse key board os if you have it etc) and what you want to do with this pc in order of whats important to you (like this gaming watching movies web surfing) we can maybe put you together a either cheaper build or one that may cost a little more but out perform that one. Just a thought.

I do not like prebuilt systems as they are limited in upgrades have weak and often times terrible psus and you are paying more basically for the brand name then the components themselves. I like knowing what is in my system and what it can do. So if some thing goes wrong i'm not on the phone for two hours with some one who can barely speak english and knows less about pc's then you do. But i can understand why some buy these systems. I just personally have had no luck with any of them. And i have owned a compaq a hp as well as a gateway and a dell. Even owned an ibm and apple years ago.

There are some cases where you can get a decent pc or at least decent parts in a prebuilt machine. But most of the time you can beat their price putting it together your self. Or if not you can always pay a little bit more and get a system that will greatly out perform it in the least. Most people see the price of a pc and think thats what it costs to build it. It is a common misconception. But usually you are paying more for the brand name. Gaming pc's are a good example of this. But it is really up to you and what you are comfortable with. There are also online shops where you can choose the parts and such and they put it together customized for you (these are also at times expensive). But just some thing to think about.

smittyd

smittyd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
I appreciate the info. I have a good monitor and keyboard. I play games and surf the web. So, give me info on how to build a good one and good hardware needed. After thinking about, I might go this route. Thanks...

Zolton33

Zolton33

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
http://www.geekstogo...r-own-computer/

From the top of this forum stickied. As for ideas of hardware? That would depend on what you are able to spend. And we need to know that to make it fit within your budget. Seeing how you say you game that means we will want to include a gpu (aka video card). And since you did not include windows as some thing you own we will want to include that into the build (about $100). And an optical drive to play games as well as install windows. And we will want a cpu that will handle this well and within your budget. But to get there we need to know how much you are going to be able to spend to get all these components.

smittyd

smittyd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
I have $1,000 available to spend. Yes, I will need to buy Windows.

Zolton33

Zolton33

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kaNT that is a base build. You can adjust it quite a bit. But i would stick with the 3570k as that is the best gaming cpu right now for price and performance. I included an ssd drive for the windows os but its some thing you can add later. I left the psu and gpu blank to allow for deciding on the gpu before picking out what psu would serve you best. You could go with a lower gb hdd or with a different mobo. But for gaming i would not do a build with your budget without the 3570k and at least 8 gigs of ram. One of the others should be along soon to help with their recommendations and input.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
My 2 cents worth http://pcpartpicker.com/p/khn1

I agree with Zolton33 regarding the SSD, if you can add a little more cash (even if it means delaying the build) I would include the SSD from the start so as to avoid having to do a reinstall of the OS and all other associated updates etc.

A couple of SSD options http://us.ncix.com/p...=OCZ Technology and http://us.ncix.com/p...facture=SANDISK

smittyd

smittyd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
Thanks for the reply's. I will take all under consideration...