Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD in windows XP

• Please log in to reply

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
Hello cmislin, and thanks rshaffer61 for letting me join in here.

cmislin, navigate (right click My Computer, left click Explore) to the following folder:

c:\windows\minidump

And if one is there, locate in it any recent minidump(date-somenumber).dmp files created, where "date-somenumber" matches dates of any recent crashes there. If they exist, then just zip a copy of it, and upload it in your next reply as an attachment please.

Advertisements

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
In addition, could you please run and upload the logs from these scans:

Click here and download the installer for Gmer to your desktop, then click that file to run Gmer.

Once the opening scan finishes, click on Scan (again, before scanning, make sure all other running programs are closed and no other actions like a scheduled antivirus scan will occur while this scan completes. Also do not use your computer during the scan).

When completed, click on the Copy button and rightclick on your Desktop, choose "New" > Text document. Once the file is created, save it to the desktop.

---------

Open Gmer again. Once it has completed it's opening scan, this time just right click in the white space in the display and select Options - Only non MS files. Then click Scan and allow Gmer to run a different scan. Once that completes click on the Copy button and rightclick on your Desktop, choose "New" > Text document. Once the file is created, again save it to the desktop.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
So the minidump I have the last one saved and zipped the scan is still going its been 5 hours and still going. Don't worry on my rents computer to send this just check it every so often to see if its done. Will it prompt when its done?

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
There is more minidumps than what ya wanted btw you asked for most current one. Plus the log txt file of that other program

Attached Files

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
If you would, please upload a few more dump files, so I can do a comparison.

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
Each time you reinstall, where do you get the Nvidia graphics driver from? Does the Windows install provide it, or do you download drivers from the manufacturer's website?

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Each time you reinstall, where do you get the Nvidia graphics driver from? Does the Windows install provide it, or do you download drivers from the manufacturer's website?

I've gotten then from windows update. Sometimes from the manufacturer when I know there is a update and recently drivemax as we were going threw and updating drivers to see if that was a route problem. Btw this is all the minidumps on this computer.

Attached Files

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
Curious if this is a graphics driver issue. What is the make and model of the computer please (and I apologize if some questions have already been asked here)?

When you check the strings in raw dump files (instead of running an analysis using a dump file analyzer), you tend to see the process that crashed right after the "GenuineIntel" reference.

GenuineIntel
5iw(qg
chrome.exe

GenuineIntel
":"main_frame","url":"http://hawksguild.com/inde
Y|5dd
chrome.exe

GenuineIntel
chrome.exe

PAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGE
GenuineIntel
chrome.exe
KDBG

GenuineIntel
chrome.exe
%22%3Afalse%2C%22locale%22%3A%22en_US%22%7D%2C%22https%22%3Afalse%7D%2Cfalse%5D

GenuineIntel
6Fi{
chrome.exe

So of course quit using and uninstall Chrome, and I assume the instances will also be reduced. Chrome basically does not "play by the rules", and can venture into undocumented territory (and run apps while closed for some reason). Chrome does seem to be manipulating fonts at the time of the crash, and that and other events seem to suggest a graphics driver to me.

But there were a few from AVG, one from Team Fortress 2, and Task Manager as well. So Chrome isn't the only culprit. And I doubt Win32k.sys is as well. More of a go-between between some kernel driver problem and the user interface.

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
By the way, on the outside chance magic will occur, please do uninstall Chrome, reboot, and watch for crashes.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Its a custom built computer. So what specs do you need to know? Here is most of the info easier to do it this way than look most of it up.

http://www.webpagesc...1142012123648AM
Also when I tried fix BSOD problems before a lot of people were having problems with XP and nvidia drivers but I never found a solution or fix. I will uninstall chrome and reboot and keep ya posted for more crashes.

Advertisements

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
Right click My Computer, left click Manage -> Device Manager -> Display adapters. Double-click on Nvidia - Details tab. Change the drop down to:

Hardware Ids

Copy down what shows as the top line there, and post that back here please. Home/custom builds can reak havoc sometimes when driver conflicts occur. Any chance you can post back the model info for the Motherboard (assuming Nvidia is an on-board chip, and not an add on card)?

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Right click My Computer, left click Manage -> Device Manager -> Display adapters. Double-click on Nvidia - Details tab. Change the drop down to:

Hardware Ids

Copy down what shows as the top line there, and post that back here please. Home/custom builds can reak havoc sometimes when driver conflicts occur. Any chance you can post back the model info for the Motherboard (assuming Nvidia is an on-board chip, and not an add on card)?

MSI G41M-p33 Motherboard
The video card is not built on if thats what your asking at the end of your comment.

Attached Thumbnails

• NVIDIA.JPG

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
:) If you wrote down and posted the Hardware Ids info, it can be web searched (can't web search from a picture). But you get an A for being innovative. Did you install the driver under Intel 4/5 Series VGA Drivers from here to use? Take no action - just researching for now please.

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
Shoot - hold that thought. MSI is masking their web pages - likely to avoid hot linking like I am trying to do.

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
Okay - here, and use the drop down the change the OS to what you have.