Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD in windows XP

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I hate to say it but I think Chrome is the problem because it is only happening when you use it.

Advertisements

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

I hate to say it but I think Chrome is the problem because it is only happening when you use it.

Well it happens most of the time when it chrome is open or being opened but has on some occasions no chrome being opened or any other browser and sometimes no chrome but firefox open as well.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome so unless it is a corrupt installation I can see no reason for that.
We have checked the hard drive
Tested the memory
Ran SFC
Ran chkdsk
Updated all drivers

Still having the issue. Please open your system and do a close inspection of the motherboard for any bulging or blown capacitors.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

We uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome so unless it is a corrupt installation I can see no reason for that.
We have checked the hard drive
Tested the memory
Ran SFC
Ran chkdsk
Updated all drivers

Still having the issue. Please open your system and do a close inspection of the motherboard for any bulging or blown capacitors.

I'll do that tomorrow. I did have the most of the stuff out of it atleast 5 months back and saw no issues with caps. I will take a look again tomorrow.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
I thoroughly check the motherboard for bad caps I saw none. If between us 2 we can't figure something else to check. Would and other of the mods possible have any ideas? Sorta a fresh idea or such?

Edited by cmislin, 25 October 2012 - 11:36 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I was going to ask one of the others to take a look already since the topic has spanned 6 pages now with 80 posts.
I will post a request now to have other Tech staff and Mods take a look. Please be patient as it may take a bit for a reply.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

I was going to ask one of the others to take a look already since the topic has spanned 6 pages now with 80 posts.
I will post a request now to have other Tech staff and Mods take a look. Please be patient as it may take a bit for a reply.

Not a problem I'm a rather patient person but your helps has improved my computer in some areas already (driver update for sure).

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you for the kind words as I really appreciate it. I am never to proud to ask for help and as you say a fresh set of eyes may see something we have over looked during our diagnostics. Hopefully whom ever joins us will be able to further the topic to a resolution. :thumbsup:

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
BSOD today opening chrome

On Thu 10/25/2012 8:54:24 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini102512-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: win32k.sys (win32k+0x105D01)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFFBF905D01, 0xFFFFFFFFB157E9F8, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\win32k.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Multi-User Win32 Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just a suggestion we could do a repair installation. It seems that maybe the win32k.sys may be corrupted and needs to be repaired. I'm surprised that SFC did not replace it but I know a repair installation will.

Repair Installation Instructions

· Insert your Windows XP CD in your CD-ROM and then Restart your computer.

· At the first post screen start tapping the Del key to enter System Bios
· Find the Advance Options or Boot Sequence screen.
· You will need to change the boot sequence so that the CDrom is first and the HD is second.
· Press F10 to Save and Exit and then press Enter to accept.
· The system will now reboot
· When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
· When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER
· To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
· At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. DO NOT SELECT THIS OPTION.

· On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
· Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected and highlighted in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.
· Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

You can also go HERE
to read a step by step tutorial with screenshots.

Advertisements

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Will give that a go later or early tomorrow and see if that helps

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK the other option if you don't want to do the repair option is to copy the file from the I386 folder.
It will be located in the C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
I have no problem doing the repair I have some down time I can let it mill threw it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I will await your results.
:thumbsup:

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

OK I will await your results.
:thumbsup:

BTW my windows XP cd the screen looks like different. If I go f8 only opens I have are long format quick format or leave partition alone. However before I goto the drive partiction list there was a open to R for repair. The recovery console was way in the beginning by pressing f2. Should I of press R even though your instructions said not to till after the f8 license screen? I also looked at that other page of step by step and mine doesn't look like that.