Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD in windows XP

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This would indicate to me it is a branded installation disk.

Advertisements

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

This would indicate to me it is a branded installation disk.

Meaning what? It was purchased from microsoft super early when XP came out as well.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm so does it have any SP included at all?
It should say on the disk itself if there is a SP with it and if not we have further steps to take before a repair installation can be done.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Hmm so does it have any SP included at all?
It should say on the disk itself if there is a SP with it and if not we have further steps to take before a repair installation can be done.

Windows XP with SP 2

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK good news is you can slipstream SP3 into the installation by creating a new installation disk or you can install it after installation is completed.

At what point during the Repair installation instructions does everything change from the posted pictures?

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

OK good news is you can slipstream SP3 into the installation by creating a new installation disk or you can install it after installation is completed.

At what point during the Repair installation instructions does everything change from the posted pictures?

Well not sure 100% if starts out with loading all the driver type stuff then has a f2 or r for automated repair console. http://www.geekstogo...air-windows-xp/
The first SS is how it looks but if I press enter then press f8 for user agreement the next SS for me only allows format of partition delete partition or do nothing to it. Also that repair open for R I can't get back to without rebooting and starting again. I know the automatic repair console I don't need or won't help for what we want but what about the R repair option. Since mine doesn't follow suit like the SS of how it shows. P.S. I don't know what you were talking about SP3 I have that installed already long ago and such.

Edited by cmislin, 27 October 2012 - 03:19 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes you have SP3 installed but according to your info your installation disk only has SP2 included with it.
Also in the repair tutorial picture 3 is where the R is pressed for repair. Is the OS highlighted when you press R and what happens when you do it?
We can also try a parallel installation which would put a brand new OS along side your existing OS. After all the updates you could see if the new one works correctly when trying Chrome. If it does then you simply all your data over using the steps I would include and check the system again. If everything works fine then we can simply delete the old installation and you have a now working system. This would also verify the issue being a internal windows issue with your existing installation.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Yes you have SP3 installed but according to your info your installation disk only has SP2 included with it.
Also in the repair tutorial picture 3 is where the R is pressed for repair. Is the OS highlighted when you press R and what happens when you do it?
We can also try a parallel installation which would put a brand new OS along side your existing OS. After all the updates you could see if the new one works correctly when trying Chrome. If it does then you simply all your data over using the steps I would include and check the system again. If everything works fine then we can simply delete the old installation and you have a now working system. This would also verify the issue being a internal windows issue with your existing installation.

I'm not sure I can try it tomorrow since I will be gone most of today. It doesn't before you press R choose the OS. This installation of windows is less than 2 months fresh on the drive. So you want me to see if the repair will actually start checking the OS portion of the drive and make repairs if necessary? If that is correct I will get it running in monday.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes please see if it will repair. :thumbsup:

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Ok I the R open is takes ya to a dos like screen where you select the drive and use dos like commands to do anything. If that is it I don't know the command to have it check the windows files. However I had another BSOD previously to this which is why I checked this tonight not tomorrow.

On Mon 10/29/2012 3:05:23 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini102812-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: win32k.sys (win32k+0x2EBD1)
Bugcheck code: 0x10000050 (0xFFFFFFFFE3BEC01C, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFFBF82EBD1, 0x1)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\win32k.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Multi-User Win32 Driver
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

Attached Files

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK there is obviously something wrong with windows so I would like to proceed to the parallel installation and see if that works.

Parallel Installation of Windows XP

Boot to the Windows XP installation cd by pressing a key when the "Press any key to boot from cd" prompt appears at the top of the screen.
  • At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press Enter to set up Windows XP.
  • Accept the License Agreement by pressing F8
  • With your current installation selected in the box, press Esc
  • Select C: Partition1 [NTFS] in the box and press Enter
  • To continue setup using this partition, press C
  • Now you should see formatting options...choose the last one, Leave the current file system intact (no changes), and press Enter
  • To use a different folder, press Esc
  • Name the folder WINDOWS0 (just type a 0 (zero)) and press Enter
The Windows installation should begin. This will install Windows to a new folder, leaving your data intact. Any programs installed on the old directory will have to be reinstalled to the new one. Device drivers will also have to be installed for all the hardware to work as it should.

The data will be located in the Documents and Settings folder (C:\Documents and Settings) under your old user account name...so when you set up the new installation, give yourself a slightly different user account name.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

OK there is obviously something wrong with windows so I would like to proceed to the parallel installation and see if that works.

Parallel Installation of Windows XP

Boot to the Windows XP installation cd by pressing a key when the "Press any key to boot from cd" prompt appears at the top of the screen.

• At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press Enter to set up Windows XP.
  • Accept the License Agreement by pressing F8
  • With your current installation selected in the box, press Esc
  • Select C: Partition1 [NTFS] in the box and press Enter
  • To continue setup using this partition, press C
  • Now you should see formatting options...choose the last one, Leave the current file system intact (no changes), and press Enter
  • To use a different folder, press Esc
  • Name the folder WINDOWS0 (just type a 0 (zero)) and press Enter
The Windows installation should begin. This will install Windows to a new folder, leaving your data intact. Any programs installed on the old directory will have to be reinstalled to the new one. Device drivers will also have to be installed for all the hardware to work as it should.

The data will be located in the Documents and Settings folder (C:\Documents and Settings) under your old user account name...so when you set up the new installation, give yourself a slightly different user account name.

Ok once this parallel install is done how does my computer know what one to boot from on same partition?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You have to choose the newest entry one. You will only have 2 choices so it should be fairly easy to figure out which is the newest.
It will most likely name it Windows 1 or something like that in the two options.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

You have to choose the newest entry one. You will only have 2 choices so it should be fairly easy to figure out which is the newest.
It will most likely name it Windows 1 or something like that in the two options.

Ah ok will do that had another BSOD before I could check the response. I will do that parallel install today sometime and get back to ya.

On Tue 10/30/2012 2:51:40 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini103012-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: win32k.sys (win32k+0x105D01)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFFBF905D01, 0xFFFFFFFFB21809F8, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\win32k.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Multi-User Win32 Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

This is why I believe the issue is Windows itself. The issue was happening before I had you update all the drivers so it's not a driver you updated. It has to be a core driver issue that is causing the issue. By doing a parallel installation it will put a fresh OS along side your existing installation but with the default drivers installed. From there then all the Microsoft Windows updates would need to be done to see if any of those is the culprit.