Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD in windows XP

• Please log in to reply

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

This is why I believe the issue is Windows itself. The issue was happening before I had you update all the drivers so it's not a driver you updated. It has to be a core driver issue that is causing the issue. By doing a parallel installation it will put a fresh OS along side your existing installation but with the default drivers installed. From there then all the Microsoft Windows updates would need to be done to see if any of those is the culprit.

SO install the windows updates and get back to ya? Do you want me to install 3rd party drivers or not? or only windows update ones?

Advertisements

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Ok I did exactly what ya told me. I printed out the post as a reference. Then when it reboots and goes to load up windows it says "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt <windows root>\system32\hal.dll I also checked the other OS entry just to make sure the old one still booted at it did. I tried doing the install again and same thing. Also the first time when windows notice there was a another installation on the drive it advised not doing another installation on the same partition. Please advise. Also the 2nd attempt of the install said it would go over the previously tried install so ya I'm waiting for sugguestions.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No don't try another install as it may format the whole partition.
The error you are getting is with the new install correct? You can try to do repair install on that installation and see if it will resolve the hal issue.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

No don't try another install as it may format the whole partition.
The error you are getting is with the new install correct? You can try to do repair install on that installation and see if it will resolve the hal issue.

Well problem is how do I do a repair as I've tried that and it just goes to a dos like prompt and the other one is the put in a disk automatic recovery console?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you sure you are trying a repair because what you are describing sounds like the Recovery Console and not the repair installation.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Are you sure you are trying a repair because what you are describing sounds like the Recovery Console and not the repair installation.

I've went threw both options neither is a repair. One ask for a disc that you make when install windows and such. The other opens a dos like prompt. I have yet to find anything like the link ya showed that allows windows to check the system files and repair corrupt or missing or what not ones. I don't know why its not available on the xp disc I have troubles me. Which is why we tried this because repair wasn't there. Unless there is a command line code I can do in that dos like prompt? It does ask you to choose basically a drive and installation. But again I don't know of any command to run to do a repair via that route. Chkdsk really doesn't do that nor to a few other I can recall.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
To check the system files you have to run a SFC which I believe we have already done within Windows before.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

To check the system files you have to run a SFC which I believe we have already done within Windows before.

Yes I have ran that back when ya told me to. But from the looks of the SS of the window install you could repair which it looks like it scans the installation? But that options is nowhere to be found like that as a seen in SS and videos I've found.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Give me a bit to ask for assistance again. I have posted in my original request for help with a request for eyes on the topic and assistance. I fear the only way to resolve this is to backup all important data, format and do a fresh install. I want to make sure we have exhausted all other methods before going to this.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Give me a bit to ask for assistance again. I have posted in my original request for help with a request for eyes on the topic and assistance. I fear the only way to resolve this is to backup all important data, format and do a fresh install. I want to make sure we have exhausted all other methods before going to this.

Unfortunately I fear that might not solve it. This current install of xp is less than 2 months old. I formatted it previously for BSOD since I couldn't figure out anything wrong myself and with a friends help and using every diagnostic tools I could find and such.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We have tested all the hardware and found nothing physically wrong with anything so I just don't know where else it could be.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Got a malware tech who might join us but in the meantime can you get a new event viewer log please.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Do you want all the log file for application? Or do you want it filtered some way?

Edited by cmislin, 01 November 2012 - 12:36 AM.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Log of application in event viewer let me know if ya want it filtered in some way

Attached Files

• Attached File  log.txt   291.72KB   136 downloads

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you that is fine. The malware tech can take a look at that and see if there is something I have missed. :thumbsup: