Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Root or Not to Root?

• Please log in to reply

flyboy1565

flyboy1565

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
Ok, so I'm toying with the idea of rooting my phone because I'm tried of the bloatware put on it. The question I have is do you think it's rightful to root? The service providers say it will void the warranty, but it seems that everyone is ok with it as a "at your own risk."

Always interested in what we (geeks to go) believe.

Also interested to know if you, yourself have rooted and if you liked it!

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Go for it. US courts have ruled it's legal. If you want the pure Android experience you have to buy a Google device, or root your own.

Some devices have one-click root. Others may appear more daunting, but I've done it a number of times and it gets easier with experience.

flyboy1565

flyboy1565

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
yeah admin, I have an HTC Droid Incredible 2.. I'm tried of waiting for ICS, but thought I'd see what everyone I trust here thinks. LOL

HTC is almost the worst to root, I think!

Edited by flyboy1565, 12 October 2012 - 10:45 PM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Carriers that drag their feet offering updates, or simply refuse to offer updates is a good reason to root.

I've run Cyanogenmod on a few devices and been happy with it. Although I admit for my latest phone I just bought a Google Nexus. I grew tired of rooting, and ROMS, manually updating, and instability issues.

Rooting Android devices is much like overclocking a PC. A hobbyist activity that offers some benefits, and some drawbacks.

flyboy1565

flyboy1565

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
Ok well, what are you currently on software wise

barryherne

barryherne

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'd like to add that before rooting you'd better check if the manufacturer's warranty is valid for rooted devices. Or at least if it is possible to ruturn the device to its virgin manufacturer's state :)
Anyway it's not a reason to refuse rooting. Just $0.02 to consider.

ex_agent

ex_agent

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
Rooting devices completely voids manufacturer warranty(MFW). However, if you do your research beforehand, you can flash it back to the stock ROM anytime you may have to use your MFW. My last phone was the Motorola Photon, when I was with Sprint, it was rooted and I had no issues with it, in fact I enjoyed it a little more after rooting it. Currently I have the Samsung Galaxy SIII with Verizon, it's also rooted and running CyanogenMod. A few things I would recommend before rooting, especially if you plan on loading a custom ROM such as CyanogenMod or a few of the others. 1) Make sure you do ALL of your research, make sure you have an idea of what you're in for, 2) Make sure to have a copy of your phone's stock ROM just in case, 3) Make sure to have a backup copy of gooapps (I have ROM Manager installed on my phone which also has this available from install within the app) this is basically you're google play store and some other important things that can get lost during the upgrade, 3) Try to find a video of someone rooting the same phone you have(same model, same carrier) as this makes it easier to follow along. If you install a custom ROM, make sure to boot into recovery mode and doing a backup before doing any firmware updates or trying out new ROMS, also I would recommend titanium backup to back up your apps and user data.

Babbzzz

Babbzzz

Writing Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
Since you're tired of bloatware, go for it!

If you need any help finding a custom ROM just ask on.

shim80

shim80

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Now, with the bug on KitKat in sdcard, the root is obligatory...

JasonSwift14

JasonSwift14

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Hello everyone! I am an Android user for many years and I was in a dilemma about rooting my devices. Rooting an Android device, of course it gives you the opportunity to have access to all basic settings and explore the true potential of your device, but if you're not an expert you may destroy everything... So, my advice is NOT rooting it until the warranty been expired. 

Advertisements

Nightfall

Nightfall

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Personally i wouldn't do it because it void's your devices warranty & everytime i bought one that was rooted or rooted one myself it always ended up messing up some how.

JasonSwift14

JasonSwift14

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

For sure, rooting is not for everyone... You must be and expert.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

For sure, rooting is not for everyone... You must be and expert.

Rooting can pretty much be accomplished by anyone who knows how to read instructions and follow them step by step.

JasonSwift14

JasonSwift14

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Hi Aura, thanks for quoting! I fully agree with you. If someone does not follow the required instructions he will may destroy this phone.

newman87

newman87

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 327 posts
If someone does not follow the required instructions he will may destroy this phone.

^^ Cannot be stated enough  :P  haha..