Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox and IE9 problem on vista

• Please log in to reply

p71p

p71p

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Apologies if this is in the wrong section. A few months ago i encountered a problem launching firefox. The only way i could get it to work was by clicking on it as soon as my pc booted. If i closed firefox i could not get back on without rebooting and clicking at the crucial time. I got fed up with this and decided to go back to IE9....this is even worse. Pages hang, freeze or just take forever to open. Most of the time i get a tab at the bottom saying recover page?

I am running vista premium service pack 2. avast antivirus all up to date.

I enjoyed firefox but to be honest i just want either of them to run properly as a lot of my work is done from home. I have scanned for viruses and got nothing, ran ccleaner and also ran malware antimalware.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
How does it behave if you boot to Safe Mode with Networking? If better then something is starting at boot that is causing the problem.

Advanced startup options - XP
Advanced startup options - Vista
Advanced startup options - Windows 7

Use msconfig to determine what is causing the problem

These are good tutorials on using msconfig in XP, Vista or Windows 7:
How to use msconfig in Windows XP
How to use msconfig in Windows Vista
How to use msconfig in Windows 7

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Reboot and see if it runs better.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.
Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.
Enable everything else you disabled.

p71p

p71p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Hi,

Safe mode and it runs fine. I disabled everything in startup and it still froze up or didn't respond. I then went to services and did the same there, again it still freezes and hangs on both IE and firefox.

aido

aido

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hello,

As I understand you have not only problems with Firefox but rather with IE too. To exclude that you have not problems with you Harddrive (possible errors during writing and reading) please use the check-disk tool to check is your Harddrive ok. Here can you find an Step by Step Guide how do you use it: http://www.w7forums....-disk-t448.html

The Link is an Windows 7 Forum but you can use the Guide for Vista too.

Edited by aido, 14 October 2012 - 02:17 AM.

p71p

p71p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
chkdsk has come back as all good.

Looking through my performance information it shows as Avast slowing things down. Avast is the only program in my startup menu and cannot be disabled.

In services i have avast and rapport running, everything else has been stopped.

aido

aido

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hello again thanks for reply,

it seems that is a true problem with Avast. Please try following steps to re-install Avast.

1, Uninstall Avast from Control Panel
2. Restart
3. Download the latest Version of the Avast Uninstall tool http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and use it for complete deinstallation.
4. Restart again
5. Download and Install the latest Avast Version http://www.avast.com/download-software
6. Restart
7. Check and Post your results - hope this helps

aido

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Also, what is rapport?

aido

aido

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Also, what is rapport?

yes you're right I found that rapport is an security software from trusteer, is it?

It's not recommended to use multiple security software on your pc. That causes problems as you describe above. You should uninstall one of them.

p71p

p71p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Thank you very much for all the help. :thumbsup:

The good news is i seem to have sorted it :cool:

The bad news is i have no idea what i did to make it work :confused: :lol:

I was in msconfig and i stopped a load of startup programs. I also disabled items in the service tab. I still have avast running on startup as this was the only one i could not disable. I deleted firefox as that would not launch bu IE is running nice and smooth.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
How or why would be nice to know but working is good!!!!