Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer problems

• Please log in to reply

scottishdwarf

scottishdwarf

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi the names Max been having a few problems with my PC figured id make a post here to see if anyone has a clue whats happening.

Basically long story short.

Computer goes blank screen, no signal detected instant shutdown and restart. This is not a consistant problem nor a regular problem and i can go through months with it not happening.
At the same time it can happen 20 times in a row.

I have tried various cables and monitors even my HDTV all seem to do the same thing, as i said it dosnt happen all the time just on and off so hard to judge if theres an improovement or not.

Dust build up in the PC possibly, is my only personal thought. Might be missing something when cleaning? Take out all the pieces and give it a proper clean down?

Opinions or facts both are welcome :) hopfully can make sure this dosnt ever happen again and interuppt anything i'm doing.

Figured id add in that it can chain happen i.e. once every 5 seconds or either 10+ min ect there seems to be no time consistancy ranging from days to seconds to mins before it happens again.

Edited by scottishdwarf, 13 October 2012 - 06:20 PM.

Advertisements

mgabriel

mgabriel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Hey Max,

We are going to need more information. What is the computer doing when this happens? Does your computer have an add-on video card? If yes, what kind? What kind of computer you have? Is is a custom made, or a manufactured one like Dell or HP? What is the model? What are the specs?

ranchhand3

ranchhand3

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Add to mgabriel: how old is the unit, and when is the last time you opened the box and thoroughly cleaned out the dust in it?

scottishdwarf

scottishdwarf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
To what is my computer doing when it happens. Absalutely anything :P can be from the start up, to 2 seconds onto booting or 10 min on my PC surfing the net. Seems totally random.

I'm running 2 Zotac 560 Ti in a crossfire with overclocking off. I usually keep the side of my PC off tbh.
wipe away dust every week or so, i havnt taken all the pieces out of it and cleaned the connectors in a ''while'' though. Meaning bout half a year without stripping the parts.
My computer is roughly 3 years old.
Its a custom made eclipse computer. Was not a problem on purchase.

Windows 7, intel core I7. 3 sticks of 2gig corsair ram.
An old velociraptor driver 125 gig and a new Corsair SSID 120 gig, just incase your about to ask No the problems did not start happening when i put in the new SSID :)

Edited by scottishdwarf, 14 October 2012 - 12:20 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
Please provide the PSU (power supply unit) details, brand and model name or number.

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Run Speedfan after you have been using the computer as you normally would and not on booting up as this will not return the correct results.

Depending on the Speedfan results it may be necessary to run a second program to check your temps and voltages are the same.

scottishdwarf

scottishdwarf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
System details..jpg Ah right sorry if i'm not being specefic enaugh :(

Power pack i got is a cooler master 750w product code is RS-750-ACAA-E3.

mgabriel

mgabriel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Which hard drive is the operating system on? The SSD or the velociraptor drive? If the OS is on the SSD, try only using the SSD and see if the issue keeps happening.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
Temps and voltages are good :thumbsup:

Please stick with mgabriel who is addressing the SSD and HDD.

scottishdwarf

scottishdwarf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Been having the problem longer than iv had the SSD only bought it in the last year or so.

The operating system is on the Raptor i only use the SSD for gaming purposes.

Used to run the computer solely on the raptor and still had the problem. I recently baught an SSD for my gaming and didnt notice an increase or a decrease in the problem occuring.

If you think swapping over everything onto the SSD, might help? I can try that but like i said its fairly new and my computer was having, the odd blank screen and restart, no signal detected before.

mgabriel

mgabriel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
I have seen this issue with the raptor drives before. I would try removing the raptor drive and run everything on the SSD. We know the SSD is not the issue because you advised the issue has been happening before you installed the SSD.

Advertisements

scottishdwarf

scottishdwarf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ah right cool cheers mate :) i'll give that a shot. Time to get that operating system swapped over :P

Edit :Just gonna throw this out here before i start moving stuff but is it possible to simply transfer all data from one hardrive onto another? to save me using the CDs for installs ect.

I.e. just dragging everything from says E: to C:? kinda thing

I aint a techie so feel free to patronize :P

Edited by scottishdwarf, 14 October 2012 - 04:15 PM.

mgabriel

mgabriel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Cool, let's us know if this solves your issue.

scottishdwarf

scottishdwarf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
ordered myself another SSD figured i'll just keep all my extra stuff on the raptor and keep my essentials on the SSD then transfer all the extras over to the new SSD when i get it.

Bout time i upgraded the old clunking moving parts thing :P.

scottishdwarf

scottishdwarf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
good news first got my new ssid yay!

bad news is the problem is occuring on all 3 drives.

I have tried each drive individually on a fresh 180gig SSID and my old raptor/120 gig ssid results are the same on all 3

Problem occurs in safe mode also.

The fresh SSID is competely blank nothing on it. even running solely that the computer is still giving the message and switching off. Seems to be occuring more frequently recently.
i.e. almost everyday and to the extent where i cannot log on some days.

I'm hoping i'm not going to have to buy a brand new motherboard :(

Have tried reseting BIOS to default no changes in shutdown occuring.

Edited by scottishdwarf, 23 October 2012 - 12:55 PM.

scottishdwarf

scottishdwarf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
bump!

Look like i have to buy a new motherboard? rather get some ideas before i buy one :(