Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer problems

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts
Hello scottishdwarf

Not sure where mgabriel is so can I ask why you feel that you need a new MB, what is your budget and where will you be purchasing the MB from

Advertisements

scottishdwarf

scottishdwarf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
ah well was just guessing i might need a new motherboard considering problem dosnt seem to be with hardrives seeing as a new one has the same problem.

Id just like my computer to stop crashing :P and if a motherboard is what i need then its what i'll get lol. Stabbing in the dark but i figured if hardrives aint the problem then my MB might just be [bleep]ed :(

Edited by scottishdwarf, 30 October 2012 - 12:49 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts
Please follow my canned text below and post back with the outcome;

How to physically test your Ram.

The following checks require the computer case to be opened so take the following safety precautions 1st, disconnect the power cord from the wall socket and take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case.

Have a pencil and notepad to hand.
Remove each stick of Ram and blow out the memory slots.
Insert the first stick of Ram in memory slot one, reconnect the power and in the case of a desktop computer the video to screen cable.
Power up the computer and see how it goes.
Make a note of the results.
Repeat the procedure until the first stick of Ram has been tested in each memory slot and the results written down.
Remove the first stick of Ram and put it to one side on top of a piece of paper with the number one on it for identification purposes.
Repeat the procedure with all Ram until each stick has been tested in all slots, the results written down and the sticks identified numerically.
Please note that some MBs (motherboards) will not boot unless there is Ram in slot one so please provide us with your motherboard details, brand, model name/number and any revision number, these details may be found by the CPU, between the PCI slots and/or around the edge of the motherboard, once we have the MB details we can look for the user manual.

scottishdwarf

scottishdwarf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Running on 1 stick of ram instead of 3 seems to be working without crashing the mo 0.o might be speaking too soon though. Will wait an hour or so and give an update.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts
Ok, is this after following the testing exactly as detailed.

scottishdwarf

scottishdwarf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
was trying to type more but kept crashing :(.

Yeh iv tried all sticks of rams in different slots same results on everything.

Didnt know what you ment by results to be honest.

I just figured you ment time between crashes ect but it seems totally random with all, just had it crash solidly for the last hour and now i'm on for 10 min and nothing.

My earlier post about it working on 1 stick was false lasted 15 min before crashing. swapped through the 3 sticks of ram 1 in each slot repeated till all were tested.

By 1 in each slot, i do mean individually like you advised.

Edited by scottishdwarf, 30 October 2012 - 04:21 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts
You may have a bad MB memory controller or a bad MB setting, to check the latter try going into the BIOS and restoring the MBs default settings and see if that helps, another option is to clear the CMOS by removing the CR2032 battery for a while and then replace it, see attachment below;

mgabriel

mgabriel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Sorry for the delay, had to replace my hard drive in my PC.

Have you tried different memory then the ones you already have?

scottishdwarf

scottishdwarf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Iv not got any other Ram available so no i havnt. :)

To the bios reset, i tried that pretty much when the crashes started happening put everything to defaults. Iv also done it recently after fiddling with the startup and driver setting.

I'll try changing the battery thing and will buy some cheap as [bleep] ram to try out to see if that makes a difference :)will repost once tried both options.

cheers in advance

Edited by scottishdwarf, 31 October 2012 - 07:08 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts
:thumbsup:

Advertisements