Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

hard drive

• Please log in to reply

diaz3188

diaz3188

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Im currently working on a project that includes a computer (hp compaq business desktop d530 series) with a fried hard drive. So my plan is to use a program (clonezilla or XXClone) to clone a hard drive from a different D530 to an external drive, then boot the computer with the fried hard drive using my external drive.So far i see no problem with this, but im no expert. This is possibly right? And also this is my first build, so forgive my ignorence. I have done all my Research and have acquired all i need so i guess all im looking for is a yes or no about whether or not this is possible. Any other questions,please ask.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
Hello diaz3188

Technically possible yes as long as the computer is capable of and set in the BIOS to boot from an external USB device, a problem that you will have is the product key for the operating system being used on two computers, if all goes well and you can successfully boot up you will need to change the cloned HDDs MS COA to that of the computer that you are working on, is there still a MS COA sticker on the case?

To update your COA see http://windows.micro...ine/product-key