Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

options for activateing illegal win7

• Please log in to reply

johnnygonefishin`

johnnygonefishin`

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
So I bought this computer off a guy who has now moved to who knows where, win7 enterprise now shows a pop up window wants me activate it :( I don't have a key, wonding what my options are?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Since you haven't provided any info on the system itself I can't tell you if the key is available or not.
Is it a desktop or laptop?
Brand name system or not?
If branded what brand, make and model?
If custom built desktop have you checked the side, back, bottom and inside the case for a sticker with the original OS version and serial number?

johnnygonefishin`

johnnygonefishin`

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Since you haven't provided any info on the system itself I can't tell you if the key is available or not.
Is it a desktop or laptop?
Brand name system or not?
If branded what brand, make and model?
If custom built desktop have you checked the side, back, bottom and inside the case for a sticker with the original OS version and serial number?

Desktop custom made,no labels Pentium®Dual core CPU E530 @ 2.60 GH 2.60GHZ 4.00GB 64 BIT OS

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Without the sticker with the serial your only option is to purchase the Win7 you want so you have a legal serial number.
GTG has a Terms of use rule on this very issue which I am including below.

Due to the fact that we cannot verify the truthfulness of your request, we cannot offer any other help to recover any passwords for any system or software installed on your (or anyone Else's) computer. You may very well be asking for legitimate help in a legitimate situation but we cannot be sure of this. For all we know you could be a child trying to get into a parent's account or worse, someone trying to gain access to information that you have been explicitly denied access to by someone of higher authority. You have been very truthful on what your issue is but we cannot assist you in illegally obtaining a serial number.

If you have any problems with this please contact a Moderator or an Admin...

Thanks to Dsenette for the instruction.

johnnygonefishin`

johnnygonefishin`

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Could I purchase this 64bit and install it? would I have to reinstall printer, track ball, monitor drivers?
http://www.microsoft...c512dcs3u2lgfzH

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is the enterprise 64 bit?
If not you would have to purchase the full version to install it fresh.
Win7 Pro 64 bit

johnnygonefishin`

johnnygonefishin`

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
How can I find out? since I'm in college I can get a discount

johnnygonefishin`

johnnygonefishin`

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
system info says 64 bit

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK it looks like going to win7 pro would be a downgrade so I don't think the upgrade you linked to will work.

johnnygonefishin`

johnnygonefishin`

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
thank you I just read that windows will not let you downgrade yes is going to be a day of reformat and installing

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The other option you have is to purchase the Enterprise Edition and you would then have a legal serial number.
That way you wouldn't have to format but simply put in the serial number and activate. What I can't tell you is if it is a upgrade, oem or retail version. You can try right clicking on My Computer and go to Properties.
That window may tell you if it is a OEM or not. Please do not post any info from that window as it is personal.