Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can I use my System Image Disk, to get my files back?

• Please log in to reply

lavondaljt

lavondaljt

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
OK, here's a little background on my laptop.

I have a Toshiba Satellite L655 85146 Laptop. I just replaced my hard drive on Friday 10.12.2012 I had just finished my first ebook and I had all my files on my desktop.

When I got the first error message that my hard drive was at risk of failing, I was told to create a "Toshiba Laptop Recovery Disk", a "System Image Disk", and that when my hard drive quit, I could use those disk to get back my computer.

Well, to be on the safeside, I went ahead and copied my favorites, my libraries and my desktop to a DVD.

On friday October 12, I turned on my computer and nothing happened. Windows tried to load, but it didn't. That was it. I got a new hard drive put in and came home hoping everything was going to be ok.

I was told to start with the "Laptop Recovery Disk". It worked and I'm using my computer right now. But without any of my files. None of them are on here and I need to find them.

I tried to load my libraries and my desktop from the disk I made, but for some reason the only thing on that disk is the icons with no files under them. As for my favorites, the files are there, but there are just a bunch of links, and I don't know how to put them on the new drive without having to copy each one at a time.

I still have this "System Image Disk" that I haven't used yet. Why, because I'm not sure how to use it just to get all my files back.

Can someone please tell me "IN DETAIL" because I am not good at doing this, how I can find and transfer my library files and my desktop files well basicly all my files from the "System Image Disk" back on my new hard drive and how to do it.

Remember, I have already used my Recovery Disk and got my OS and windows 7 back but that was all that those 4 disk had on it.

PLEASE....I really need someone's help. A lot of these files are my business, and I have to have them back.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Lavonda

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts
Hi,

Did you create a System Image Backup to a external Drive or several DVD's?

lavondaljt

lavondaljt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
I used DVD's

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts
If you did create a System Image Backup it includes all the programs, files, folders and settings, at the time the backup has created.
This backup can only be restore completely replacing everything now on the computer, if you did add other files and programs after the restore make sure you have copies on a safe place (external device, DVD, etc) because they will be overwritten and need to be copied/installed after restoring the backup.

What you need to do is boot the computer with the System Image Disk on the DVD drive, on the System Recovery Options choose the option System Image Recovery then follow the program instructions.

Edited by SleepyDude, 14 October 2012 - 04:40 PM.

lavondaljt

lavondaljt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
so there is no way to just restore things like my pics, documents, desktop, the libraries, my favorites using this system image disk. when i use it, it is going to wipe out the new hd which has no files on it cause i've just restored it using the Toshiba Recovery Disk. It is now back the way it was when I bought it.

does that image also include windows 7?

Is there another way. How would you use the old hd to pull these files and folders off of it? I know that people that do computer repair for a living, can usually get the files and folders off of a hd that has failed. Could that be done by me? Someone that knows nothing about how to do it but is very capable of following directions if they are clear and step by step.

Anyway you could help me out would be appreciated.

Thanks
Lavonda

Edited by lavondaljt, 15 October 2012 - 05:21 AM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts
Hi,

Sorry I've been somewhat busy.

On this article from HowToGeek it shows how you can mount the backup image with a normal drive letter to copy files.

I'm not sure you can do this if you have a backup image split across several DVD's.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I don't think he crated a backup image, just copied my favorites, my libraries and my desktop to a DVD, so there is no backup image to work with.

I was wrong, there is a 5 disc system image, sorry.

lavondaljt

lavondaljt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
I have one disk that has what I thought was "my desktop" and "libraries". One disk with just the favorites, and the system image has a total of 5 disk. I tried to use the instruction on this page "http://www.sysprobs....m-image-backup", but kept getting the error message "The requested operation could not be completed due to a file system limitation".

Can you tell me what this means and if there is a way to get these files.

Thanks again for your help
Lavonda