Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

failed updates

• Please log in to reply

vistasucks

vistasucks

• PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
hi all, ive tried to update my pc using automatic updates but there are 8 important updates that refuse to work..the pc says " unknown error 80070005 "...ive tried the microsoft fixit thingy but still no joy...ive tried to take aa screenshot of the page but failed at that too....its bumming me out, man :lol:

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Windows Repair (All In One) from Tweaking.com.

Windows Repair is an all-in-one repair tool to help fix a large majority of known Windows problems including registry errors and file permissions as well as issues with Internet Explorer, Windows Update, Windows Firewall and more. Malware and installed programs can modify your default settings. With Tweaking.com - Windows Repair you can restore Windows original settings.

Download it ===> here.

Install and then run the program.
  • Posted Image
Click on each of the Step tabs and perform the indicated processes if you have not already done the same or similar things.

DO NOT run ComboFix or TDSS Rootkit Remover on the Step 1 tab without supervision from one of our malware experts though. They can cause significant damage if not used correctly.
  • Posted Image
  • Posted Image
  • Posted Image
  • Posted Image
Click on the Start Repairs tab.
  • Posted Image
Click Start. If you did not perform Step 4 to create a registry backup, you will be prompted to do so. I strongly urge you to do it.

• Posted Image
Click the Unselect All button then select just the items shown in the following image unless directed to do otherwise.

• Posted Image

DO NOT check the Restart/Shutdown System When Finished box as you will want to see anything that happens during and at the end of the repair process.

Click Start and let the process run to completion. Record error messages if there are any then reboot.

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
nice one mate...i'll give it a go..i'll probly have to reply from my lappy cos this pc will have have gone up in smoke :lol: , but i'll give it a go :thumbsup:
cheers

nige

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
ok..as i suspected, this reply is from my lappy.....i did everything i was prompted to do and now the pc is really slow booting up...im also getting an access violation at address 0044d2bf in module " RaUI.exe".read of address000003B0. ( actually had 6 of these come up on screen )..any idea what i screwed up :confused: :confused: :help:

edit...actually, make that 11 messages...i closed all them and behind was another one saying " conflict between 2 wifi cards. please disable other wifi cards....as far as im aware i dont have any wifi cards, just a usb dongle thingy.....please :help: :help:

edit 2 ( sorry )...i went into device manager and clicked network adapters..it has come up with 4 :o ...
802.11n usb wireless lan card
microsoft virtual wifi miniport adapter
microsoft virtual wifi miniport adapter#2
realtek PCIe FE famil controller

does this mean i have a network card and can get rid of the usb dongle thingy

sorry about this, but im a complete dunce :blush:

edit 3....just tried windows update again and it failed

Edited by vistasucks, 16 October 2012 - 12:54 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Yes, you have built in wireless: 802.11n usb wireless lan card

What was the status of it in Device Manager?

Also, read here: Error: 0x80070005 when you try to install updates using Microsoft Update or Windows Update

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
device manager says device is working properly...whilst in device manager i unplugged the usb dongle thingy and 3 from the list disappeared and left just the FE family controller...does this mean anything to you :confused: :confused:

also, is it worth me restoring the registry and doing a system restore aswell

Edited by vistasucks, 17 October 2012 - 11:55 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
RaUI.exe belongs to Edimax Wireless Utility.

Can you post a picture of Device Manage with Network Adapters expanded please.

You could try a System Restore if you have a restore point that was created prior to your having the Windows update problem. That will also restore the registry to the same date.

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
here you go mate....still wont update

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
It shows the 802.11n adapter which is your built-in one, right?

Do you have a working internet? Can you browse the web?

Did you try the suggestions at the link I gave you above?

Also, just found this one:

I tried many things to fix this and here is (the simple!) fix that worked on my Windows 7 32 bit PC:

Stop the Windows Update service.
Rename the folder c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution
Create new folder c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution
Restart Windows Update service.

Hope this helps someone else!
Dave in Kansas

Fpund here: error code 80070005 windows update encountered an unknown error - Windows could not search for new updates __ - 3rd reply.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Just got a note from one of the other folks here that mentioned this may be caused by your anti-virus software, so try disabling it then doing the update. Re-enable when done.

Advertisements

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

It shows the 802.11n adapter which is your built-in one, right?

Do you have a working internet? Can you browse the web?

Did you try the suggestions at the link I gave you above?

Also, just found this one:

I tried many things to fix this and here is (the simple!) fix that worked on my Windows 7 32 bit PC:

Stop the Windows Update service.
Rename the folder c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution
Create new folder c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution
Restart Windows Update service.

Hope this helps someone else!
Dave in Kansas

Fpund here: error code 80070005 windows update encountered an unknown error - Windows could not search for new updates __ - 3rd reply.

i think the adapter that is showing is the usb one as it disappears when the the dongle thingy is removed
yes i have internet, but only with the usb thingy plugged in
yes, tried the link..i am the administrator
could you explain how to do what dave in kansas did, i have no clue where to start

regards
nige

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
added this as an afterthought...this is device manager with usb thingy removed...so im guessing i dont have a built in wireless card :confused:

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Right, no built-in then.

To stop the Windows Update Service.

Press Windows key (next to left Ctrl key+ + R to open the Run dialog window.
Type services.msc and press Enter.
Scroll down to Windows Update.
Right click on it and select Stop.

To rename the folder c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution and create a new one

Open Computer
Double click on C:
Scroll down to Windows and double click on it
Scroll down till you see SoftwareDistribution
Right click on it and select Rename
Change the name to SoftwareDistribution-old

Click on the Windows (C:\Windows) folder so it's highlighted, then click on
New Folder on the toolbar line. Call it SoftwareDistribution

Restart Windows Update service then try the update again.

Edit: Also, try disabling your anti-virus software then try the update. Re-enable it again as soon as it's done (work or fail).

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
thanks mate, i'll try it when i get back from the pub :thumbsup:

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi vistasucks, :wave:

I've been discussing this issue with Ztruker "behind the scenes". I have a couple questions if I may.

First of all:

Is this the same computer that you posted about here? I need to know because what is in the OTL logs could help eliminate some of the questions I have.

Second:

Is this computer a desktop or a laptop? The Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller that is displayed in your Device Manager is your Network Card for an ethernet connection. Have you tried to use an ethernet cable to connect that way?

For the update issue I'll need to know what OS is installed and if it is 32 or 64-bit. In the link to the other thread you posted the computer is a Win7 64-bit. Is this the same computer?