Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

failed updates

• Please log in to reply

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Majority of those programs came with the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) OS installed at the factory as part of the package. You'll have to reinstall MSE, Update Checker, Veetle and Malwarebytes Antimalware which isn't so bad.

Go ahead and begin the process. I'll be here if you have questions or concerns. :thumbsup:

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If you haven't started yet, read here about how to create another recovery DVD. How to create recovery DVD more than once

Read through that and look at the info form the link in the first post of the thread: Create recovery DVD's more than once

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
well....just hit the reset button...fingers crossed.( is there a fingers crossed smiley...if not...why not :lol: )

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Excellent Ztruker!

@ vistasucks.

Hold off on that recovery as I had mentioned above. Ztruker and I have our wheels turning and we might have a better option than factory recovery.

Back soon.........

PS: You're in the UK aren't you? Shouldn't you be in bed? :lol:

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
nah...bed is for wimps :lol:

too late on the recovery...already done..just reinstalling some things now...and only 103 windows updates to instal :lol: :surrender:

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
That's ok. What we have in mind will still work. Better since the system will be in tip top shape.

See this link: Creating and Using a System Repair Disc (Windows 7)

I'm hoping that if you are able to create the disc you'll at least have a repair disc for future use.

Once complete, try to access the HP Recovery manager to see if you can create the disc's. Don't think you'll be able to, but it's worth a try. I know on an ASUS it can be done.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
HP places a file in the Recovery partition to prevent making another recover disc set, even after doing a restore to factory. That's what that link I gave will help with (I think).

Worth looking at once you have everything updated again.

You should look into getting an external hard drive and doing image backups. Makes recovering from these kinds of problems a 20 minute process.

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
i'll look at the link tomorrow and have got my eye on a 1TB gadget on ebay...many many thanks to both you and donnab for all the assistance, couldnt have done it without you :wub: :lol:

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

thanks to both you and donnab for all the assistance

Anytime! It was a pleasure to help. :happy:

As for Ztruker's links:

In the 2nd link, I can't find the following as mentioned in post #5 by peppa:

Just a small info:
One hpcd.sys was located in the root of HP_RECOVERY partition and second in C:\Windows\SMINST\.
It's necessary to rename/delete them both!

I even have Show hidden files and folders enabled. Search comes up with nothing. :confused: And my HP_Recovery partition is totally inaccessible!

I had hoped to experiment for future reference!

Edited by DonnaB, 20 October 2012 - 07:23 PM.

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
update...i have just successfully installed 106 updates.....problem solved :thumbsup:
as for the other stuff, i'll look into it when my brain cools down :lol:
huge thanks to everyone once more...youre the best

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Perfecto! :thumbsup: Now do you see what I mean by tedious process???

Let us know if you'd like to reinstall MSE. Whatever AV is installed will likely need a removal tool to completely uninstall it to prevent conflict.

Also, be very careful to watch for pre-checked foistware when you go to install/re-install any other programs so you don't end up with any unwanted toolbars, browsers, scanners, etc.

Ninite is a great site to download software from. When you choose a piece of software all you get is the installer. No unwanted foistware at all.

Have a great night!

Donna :happy:

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
norton anti virus seemed to reappear when the reset was done..i uninstalled it from control panel and reinstalled MSE but if i need to re bin norton then your help is appreciated...thanks for the ninite pointer...its always handy to have a clean site to download stuff from :thumbsup:

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Ahhhh! Norton. Yes. You will need a special removal tool to ensure all residual files are removed to prevent conflict.

Please download and run the Norton Removal Tool 20.0.0.21.

Here are the links for those other programs you had installed just in case you need them:

Update Checker v1.039

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free

It's alway's a good idea to have a 2nd browser installed as well. You never know when you might have issues with IE. The Ninite site offers Chrome or Firefox in their list of software. I'd advise you to install one or the other, whichever fits your fancy.

Once you get Update Checker reinstalled run it to see if any of the installed software needs updating. I'm sure Java, Adobe Reader/Flash products and a few others were installed and more than likely not up to date.

:thumbsup:

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
ahaaa...i'm waaaaay ahead of ya :lol:
everything you just suggested has already been done, except norton ,.. (im almost getting good at this now ).

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

ahaaa...i'm waaaaay ahead of ya :lol:
everything you just suggested has already been done, except norton ,.. (im almost getting good at this now ).

Oooo! Did I pick up on your tone of confidence? The unknown is always a fear till you leap in with eyes wide open, then looking back you realize you worried for nothing! You are to be commended! You did a great job and you did it all on your own. All we did was be there to guide and encourage you.

We're always here if needed! :thumbsup:

Happy and safe surfing vistasucks!

Oh! By the way. I love my Vista! What would life be without a challenge? :whistling: :lol:

Edit:
PS: I wanted to mention that the instructions concerning the updates was provided by a dear friend of mine, niemiro. He deserves the credit for that, not I.

Edited by DonnaB, 21 October 2012 - 12:44 PM.