Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Additional Memory...

• Please log in to reply

smittyd

smittyd

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Hello. I have a HP Mini 5012 laptop. It has an Intel Atom CPU N450 @ 1.66 GHZ. The Memory is 1 GB.
My question is: Would going to 2 GB of memory help the speed? Or is it going as fast as it's going to go because the CPU speed is 1.66 GHZ? As it is right now, it's fairly slow. Any help on increasing the speed would be appreciated. Thanks...

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
The answer is "it depends". If you are doing things which require a lot of memory and you are running out of memory, causing the machine to page to disk (which is extremely slow), then adding more memory can help greatly. If you are not and the machine is not paging or rarely paging, then the extra memory will have no effect.

Perhaps others can address things which can increase the speed. Sadly, it seems that M$ tends to deteriorate over time and some have found reloading tends to increase the speed. One suggestion to increase the speed is to switch to Linux, but I know that is not always possible nor desired.

mgabriel

mgabriel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Adding a SSD will help with performance

smittyd

smittyd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
I appreciate your reply. Is there a way to know when my machine is going to "page to disk" in which you referred to? Thanks...

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
The task manager should show the paging. Also, if you see a lot of disk activity, that will slow the machine down.