Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need to reset everything on an old computer

• Please log in to reply

stupiduser1004

stupiduser1004

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello. I am a stupid user and I am in over my head.

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, here is my issue. My husband's work recently purchased some new computers and decided to trash some of the old ones. His boss gave him one and told him to make it disappear (she came out and said take it home and let your kid use it). The computer is a Dell, serial # CPRNS01, model # DHP from 2001 running Windows XP. The computer was networked before and obviously we don't have any of the administrator passwords. I would like to be able to reset the administrator password and create a new profile for us to use and remove all the old ones.

My questions are:
Is this possible?
Is this safe?
Can I do it without blowing anything up?
Can you help me do it using very small words and simple steps? I promise not to blame anyone else for my own ignorance.

Please and thank you!

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Without any passwords it will be difficult if not impossible. CPRNS01 is a Dell Optiplex GX50 and the only Recovery Discs I can find are for Windows 2000.

What you need is a Windows XP install CD which you can still find on Ebay and Craig's List and perhaps other places. Do a Google search to find them.

I found some here: missionsoft.conm, $80 for a full retail version and $44 for OEM versions.

Ebay has many: XP on Ebay