Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Screen goes black after login. Need help.

• Please log in to reply

Mattyp153

Mattyp153

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I'm not exactly sure where to post this so I just chose here.

I built my first computer a few month ago and it's been fine up until about 2 weeks ago when I logged the desktop loaded the screen when black so I turned my computer off and back on and then it was fine. It is now doing the same thing but I restarted it and it did the same thing so I restarted it again in safe mode and it was fine I waited at least 10 minutes before restarting the computer again. I logged in and the same thing happened the desktop loaded then the screen went black.

Here is my setup:
Mobo: ASRock H77-PRO4-MVP Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core i5 3470
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit with SP1 OEM
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3
Hard drive: Western Digital WD Blue 500GB WD5000AAKX
PSU: OCZ Fatal1ty Series 550W Modular
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 24x SATA DVD-RW Drive OEM
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD7770 1GB Overclocked

Here is the site I got the parts from if you want to look at them: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php

I really need help with this fast so if anyone can help it will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,148 posts
Hi,

Can you boot in Safe Mode?

Mattyp153

Mattyp153

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Yes, I can boot in Safe Mode and everything is fine.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,148 posts
If Safe Mode works then is most likely driver related.
Try update the graphic card driver, if you are using the last one and you update recently try reverting back to the old one.

I'm not sure if this can be also part of the problem...

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD7770 1GB Overclocked

Edited by SleepyDude, 16 October 2012 - 04:53 PM.

Mattyp153

Mattyp153

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I will try updating the driver. Also why could the video card being overclocked be the problem?

Mattyp153

Mattyp153

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I checked the display drivers and they are both up to date but when I restarted my computer I logged in and things started to load and there was an error message that said "problem occurred while loading userSettings.xml" I didn't get to read the rest before the screen went black but it did take longer than usual to go black. So I restarted my computer again to see if I could read the rest of the error but nothing came up and the screen when black again. If it will help I will try to record exactly what happens and post the video later today.

Mattyp153

Mattyp153

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Just got home and started my computer and the desktop loaded and the error came up again but the screen did not go black I clicked on yes to fix the error and as I was about to post that it was fixed the screen went black again. I have checked the drivers and everything is up to date I have restarted my computer multiple times I have tried a different screen and still the same thing happens any other suggestions anyone?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,148 posts

I will try updating the driver. Also why could the video card being overclocked be the problem?

Because running the hardware overclocked will make it run hotter if not properly cooled and will probably last less.
Try disabling the overclock and see how it goes.

Mattyp153

Mattyp153

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I started my computer this morning and it worked fine so I don't know what was wrong but it is working now. I checked the temperature of the cpu (36 C) and the case (31 C) and I could not find a temperature reading for the video card but I don't think it would be any hotter than the cpu. Thanks for your help and hopefully it wont happen again.