Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network config

• Please log in to reply

CharleyB0y

CharleyB0y

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello there!

I am configuring my network and I would need some help.

Here is the equipment I have :

· Internet modem (my provider is Bell Canada)

o This modem has a built in router. Brand is « 2wire »

· Linksys slm2024 switch

· Readynas NV+

· 2x additionnal routers ( D-Link Dir-825 and Asus RT-N12 )

Note : From the room where my internet modem is, I have ethernet cables going to all the rooms in the house.

What would be the most efficient way to plug all of these? First, I would plan to connect my switch to the modem, then connect all the cables coming from all the house’s rooms to the switch.

Then, should I plug the Readynas directly to the modem, or to the linksys switch?

I am now left with two routers. The main modem (which also acts as a router), is located in the basement. As I have a pretty wide area to cover, I want to add two routers to my network. As I told you earlier, all of the house’s rooms have ethernet cables going all the way to the basement where the modem is located. Hence, should I connect the two additional routers directly to my Bell modem, or to the switch?

Finally, how should I configure the two additional routers? Everytime I try to connect them to the network, (I tried connecting them to the modem, or to the switch) I lose my internet connection on all my computers. Hence, I suspect that I have to configure something differently.

Thank you very much for you support!

Edited by CharleyB0y, 16 October 2012 - 04:56 PM.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,977 posts
Hi,

What would be the most efficient way to plug all of these? First, I would plan to connect my switch to the modem, then connect all the cables coming from all the house’s rooms to the switch.

Exactly, you didn't post the 2wire model but probably it have only Ethernet ports at 100 Mbit/s and your switch is 1Gb/s if I'm not mistaken.

Then, should I plug the Readynas directly to the modem, or to the linksys switch?

To the linksys this way your internal network will work at 1Gb/s and if your devices are 1Gb/s (like the NAS) you can do faster transfers between the local devices.

You should post the routers brands and model to get more specific help.

CharleyB0y

CharleyB0y

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the quick reply ! The routers are D-Link Dir-825 and Asus RT-N12

Edit:And yes, you are right, the switch is 1Gb/s

Edited by CharleyB0y, 16 October 2012 - 04:57 PM.

CharleyB0y

CharleyB0y

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
When i plug the 2 other routers to the network, it lools like they arr trying to manage the network, but I dont want them to as my modem and switch are the one managing it. When I map the network under windows 7 on a computer connected to the network through an ethernet cable (connected to the switch) while the routers are connected, I ser that my computer connects to the switch and then to my dir-825 and then it cant find any internet connection. When i disconnect the routers, my map from the same computer goes to the seitch and then to the bell modem. How can I connect the routers to the network without them trying to act as internet "sources" for the other computers on the network... I don't know if I'm being clear...

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,977 posts
Hi,

I don't know the routers you have, maybe someone with more specific knowledge about them can help you.

On the rooms where you will put the routers you want to connect other computers by wireless or Ethernet cable?

CharleyB0y

CharleyB0y

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It's only to connect various devices through wifi (apple products, sonos sytem, etc)