Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Laptop

• Please log in to reply

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I am going to buy a new laptop and I was told if I had questions about this to come here for help. I need one that will have good memory and also a good brand name. Can someone help me with this?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello Sharon Lee

Please tell us what the main use of the notebook will be and your maximum budget.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Hello, I need the Laptop to have a good deal of memory for I make cards for our church. I also write short stories and do like to save them on my computer so I can write and re-write when I need to. I have a Dell now and do not want another one. This machine has been nothing but trouble for me. I have been thinking HP. Would 6MG and 750 Hard drive have a good memory. I copied this off a site that sells computers and have no idea what it means. That is why I am here.

Moridin

Moridin

• Pip
  • 7 posts
If I were you, I'd get Acer or Asus. Here are two examples.
http://mostbg.com/mo...px?itemid=45547
http://mostbg.com/mo...px?itemid=45848
This is a Bulgarian site, so the prices may vary from the prices in your place, but something with this specifications will serve you great!
Also, I would not recommend you HP. HP=Huge Problem.

Edited by Moridin, 19 October 2012 - 12:17 AM.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Well, I am not sure about HP but I can tell you about Dell. They do not back their product well and there always is something wrong with it. I do not want another computer that has to be fixed every month. So, I have been looking at everything but Dell. I would like some other opinions on HP. I really don't know that much about different brands. I am quite sure Apple is the best but it is also very expensive. Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello,

You have told us the intended use but not your maximum budget, we need this so that we can make the appropriate suggestions for you.

Storage capacity on the HDD will be more significant for your intended use, also consider that unless you have a 64-bit operating system installed no more than 4GB of Ram will be recognised.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Ok, now I am confused. I believe when you buy a new laptop they should have the room you need on them if they have the 750 and 6MG/ Am I wrong and I don't want to go over $600.00 if possible. What do you think of HP?

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
This is one I was looking at:

HP 15.6" Pavilion DV6-7020US Laptop PC with Intel Core i5-2450M Processor and Windows 7 Home Premium with Windows 8 Pro Upgrade Option
Model#: HP DV6-7020US
(4)
Intel Core i5-2450M processor
6GB memory; 750GB hard drive
15.6" HD BrightView LED-backlit display
Webcam, 2-in-1 card reader, Wi-Fi
Windows 7 Home Premium
List Price: $779.99
Click here for price

Free store pickup
as soon as 10/25
with

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Here is another:

HP Refurbished 15.6" dv6-7029wm Laptop PC with AMD Quad-Core A8-4500M Accelerated Processor and Windows 7 Home Premium
HP Refurbished 15.6" dv6-7029wm Laptop PC with AMD Quad-Core A8-4500M Accelerated Processor and Windows 7 Home Premium
Model#: HP dv6-7029wm
AMD Quad-Core A8-4500M Accelerated processor
8GB memory; 750GB hard drive
15.6" HD BrightView LED-backlit display
Webcam, 2-in-1 card reader, Wi-Fi
Windows 7 Home Premium
$468.00
List Price:$648.00
You save: $180.00(28%)
Special Buy

Free store pickup
as soon as 10/25
with

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Avoid purchasing anything refurbished as you have no way of knowing how the notebook was looked after by the previous user.

A notebook for you to consider http://www.newegg.co...ptops-Notebooks

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Thank you for sending that to me. I do have a question, if something would go wrong and I needed to take it to get it fixed, would they know how to fix this model. Some of the shops around here will not even take different types of computers. This is probably because they don't keep up on this. In our small town we have to take it to a larger place to get it fixed.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Thank you for sending that to me. I do have a question, if something would go wrong and I needed to take it to get it fixed, would they know how to fix this model. Some of the shops around here will not even take different types of computers. This is probably because they don't keep up on this. In our small town we have to take it to a larger place to get it fixed.

You are most welcome Sharon :thumbsup:

Sorry but as I am from the UK I am not familiar with the US warranty procedure :unsure:

The notebook at the link that I attached is covered by a 12 month statutory warranty with the option of paying a further $69.99 for an additional 2yrs warranty, if you have home contents insurance consider contacting the provider to ask if they can provide cover specific for the notebook and compare the cost.

As an asides for yourself and others that may read your topic HP and other brands such as Dell do not knowingly sell defective goods :no: the underlying issue most often is that in order to keep build costs down they source components from vendors other than the manufacturer because they are less expensive, this sometimes backfires on the likes of HP ( brand name used only as an example ) who by no fault of their own had to recall and/or repair replace a large quantity of their goods due to defective video chips provided by others, an example topic that is easily found by way of google http://h30434.www3.h...TOPS/td-p/85438

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
All right, I want to thank you for helping me out. I am looking into Acer also and Lenous G Series. I will have to sit and read all the information about the laptops to see which one I get. I have the one you sent saved on my machine and I am liking that one. Thank you and have a wonderful week-end.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You are most welcome and likewise you also have a good weekend :thumbsup:

Please let us know what you decide upon and any questions feel free to give us a shout we will be happy to help.