Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

D drive capacity

• Please log in to reply

Anthonyworcs

Anthonyworcs

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Can someone tell me why my 1TB pc has a C & D drive with the C drive showing 540GB capacity & the D drive when I try to format it only showing 380GB? Is there really 80GB running about somewhere?

Advertisements

Moridin

Moridin

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Right click on "Computer" icon and chose "Manage", than choose "Disk Management" from the menu in the left. See if there is any unpartitioned space.
Also, HDDs are always smaller from their labeled capacity. This is because of a market trick. They round down everithing to 1000, and it is actually 1024. 1TB=1024GB; 1GB=1024MB and so on.

Anthonyworcs

Anthonyworcs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for that. It comes up with a total of 931GB so that explains why it doesn't add up to what I thought it was.

Moridin

Moridin

• Pip
  • 7 posts
You're welcome :)