Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Antivirus program failing to run. Malware suspected [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Download the attached Fixlist.txt to the same USB as FRST64
[attachment=61177:fixlist.txt]
Restart FRST as previously via the recovery console
Press the fix button
Once done reboot to normal windows and retry Avast
The will be a log on the USB called Fixlog please post that

Advertisements

ctny1012

ctny1012

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
OK, that did it. Avast started right up with Windows. Here is the "Fixlog" you requested:

Fix result of Farbar Recovery Tool (FRST written by Farbar) (x64) Version: 21-10-2012
Ran by SYSTEM at 2012-10-22 11:26:37 Run:1
Running from I:\

==============================================

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\Image File Execution Options\avastSvc.exe Key deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\Image File Execution Options\avastUI.exe Key deleted successfully.

========= reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\avastSvc.exe /f =========

ERROR: Invalid syntax.
Type "REG DELETE /?" for usage.

========= End of Reg: =========

========= reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\avastUI.exe /f =========

========= reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\wow6432node\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\image file execution options\avastUI.exe /f =========

========= reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\wow6432node\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\image file execution options\avastSvc.exe /f =========

==== End of Fixlog ====

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Now that was one right little blighter to kill... Still I know next time to go straight for the jugular :)

How is the computer behaving now ?

ctny1012

ctny1012

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
The computer appears to be running normal. I was even able to update Avast.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Subject to no further problems :)

I will remove my tools now and give some recommendations, but, I would like you to run for 24 hours or so and come back if you have any problems

Now the best part of the day ----- Your log now appears clean :thumbsup:

A good workman always cleans up after himself so..The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset System Restore points:

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

:Commands
    [resethosts]
    [emptytemp]
    [Reboot]

• Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done

Remove ComboFix
  • Hold down the Windows key + R on your keyboard. This will display the Run dialogue box
  • In the Run box, type in ComboFix /Uninstall
    (Notice the space between the "x" and "/")
    then click OK

Posted Image
  • Follow the prompts on the screen
  • A message should appear confirming that ComboFix was uninstalled

Run OTL and hit the cleanup button. It will remove all the programmes we have used plus itself.

We will now confirm that your hidden files are set to that, as some of the tools I use will change that
  • Click Start.
  • Open My Computer.
  • Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
  • Select the View Tab.
  • Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Do not show hidden files and folders.
  • Click Yes to confirm.
  • Click OK.

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programmes:

Posted Image Malwarebytes.

Update and run weekly to keep your system clean

Download and install FileHippo update checker and run it monthly it will show you which programmes on your system need updating and give a download link

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated. To keep your operating system up to date visit
To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read our little guide How did I get infected in the first place ?Keep safe :wave:

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.