Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible PSU failure?

• Please log in to reply

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi fellow members,

My sister turned off her computer and pulled the power strip plug from the wall that her computer, monitor, printer, etc. is all plugged into and when she plugged it back in the computer would not turn back on afterwards. The printer and everything else works fine. Is this an indication that just out of the blue the power supply might have died on her? There is a blinking green light on the outside of the PSU just under where you insert the power cord into the PSU on the back of the computer and no fan comes on when you plug the cord into the wall socket. Just the blinking green light.

It is a Compaq Presario, model# SR5703WM Compaq Vista Home Premium (maybe Home Basic) that is way out of warranty.

Would I be correct to say the PSU needs to be replaced?

Thanks!

Donna :happy:

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello DonnaB

A failed PSU is a possibility but before replacing it there are a couple of things I would suggest first, starting with the most basic can you disconnect all connections to the actual computer such as the power cord, screen, printer, mouse/keyboard and any USB devices etc, press and hold the power on button in for between 10-15 seconds, this will dispel any kind of charge that may have remained in the system.

Once the above has been done only re-connect the basic power cord, screen and mouse/keyboard and see if the system will power up.

Let us know the results please.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
On the webpage here are the steps to be taken if the light flashes on the power supply.

http://h10025.www1.h...ct=3875750#N247

Hope that helps

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi phillpower2 and Alzeimer,

I tried all of the above.

As posted by phillpower2;
disconnect all connections to the actual computer such as the power cord, screen, printer, mouse/keyboard and any USB devices etc, press and hold the power on button in for between 10-15 seconds,

Nothing! Dead as a doornail.

As posted by Alzeimer;
On the webpage here are the steps to be taken if the light flashes on the power supply.

Again, nothing! The PSU fan did not even spin.

Tried several different outlets, etc. I believe the PSU is a goner.

My sister has no idea how important it is to back up her most precious personal data and is worried about losing all her pictures. I have told her time and time again to get an external to back these photos up. sigh.....

I opened up the case to see if I can find the model number of the PSU to see if I could price one online and the following number is what I found under a barcode, though a google search comes up blank. What number would I be looking for?

CT:5AAGHD7H2WN2OT

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Specs:

Compaq Presario SR5703WM

Think I found it:
ATX-250-12Z

Now to find out if it would be cheaper to replace PSU or just tell her to buy a new PC.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello Donna,

Thank you for the additional details which BTW may suggest that the PSU has expired, from research it appears that the Bestec brand of PSU may have been fitted as the stock PSU in the machine and these are notorious for being of poor quality and reliability.

As an additional check please follow my canned text below;

If the computer needs cleaning out, first remove the power cord from the wall and open up the case, take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case, remove the video card (if present), blow out the slot and re-seat the card securely, do the same with the memory sticks, clean all internal fans, if you use canned compressed air do not let any fan spin freely this can damage them, use something like a clean lollipop stick to hold the fan/s still. Make sure that all internal connections are secure and that there are no loose components, write down the psu details (make and model) re-assemble the computer, boot up and see how it goes.

Just a cautionary note, if you do use canned compressed air do not upend the can as it is possible for fluid to be emitted.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi phillpower2,

Thank you. I did clean it out well with my trusty little can of compressed air and followed your instructions to the "T" though no joy was to be found.

I see that a PSU is fairly cheap to replace. I contacted my sister, and since I'm too busy with my studies, etc. she's going to take it to a friend of mine who owns a Tech Shop to have him replace the PSU for her.

Thank you again for your help. :hug:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi Donna,

Inexpensive but not sure of the quality http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B007M5TWRS slightly more expensive but proven quality http://www.newegg.co...=Power-Supplies

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Thanks phillpower2!

I sure wish I had the time. I'd change it for her as a learning experience. If I had my choice, I'd purchase the one from newegg. I've heard good things about Corsair. Don't have much faith in Amazon or ebay. Prefer to buy directly from known distributors and newegg has excellent customer service as opposed to Amazon (at least that is what I've heard/read).

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
You are welcome Donna :thumbsup:

Please excuse the title of the tutorial http://www.dummies.c...wer-supply.html

I would also choose the known quality of the Corsair PSU, it also has the benefit of a 3yr warranty, the details for the Compaq branded PSU are a little vague and there is a possibility that it was manufactured in China and so the quality may not be the best, more worrying though is the lack of warranty information provided.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

Please excuse the title of the tutorial

No offense here! I love those books/tutorials for Dummies! Right up my alley! They're great for those who don't understand terminology.

Yes. I had noticed that the PSU has a label on it marked "Made in China". So does every other piece of hardware within the tower.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

No offense here! I love those books/tutorials for Dummies! Right up my alley! They're great for those who don't understand terminology.

:thumbsup: From memory I think the first book that I read was a guide for Windows 98.

It is a sorry state of affairs with cheap imports the world over I`m afraid, if it wasn`t China providing them it would be someone else.