Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sustained Video Frame (FPS) Performance.

• Please log in to reply

lithoden

lithoden

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Thanks to anyone who could possibly help me with this.

I am a fairly long term MMO player. (big surprise I know) However I have been having issues with my frame rate dropping off and picking back up again for no apparent reason. This is of course most common when things start to become more hecktic on my screen but none the less I must ask the question: "Why when I am playing a game, should the Frame rate slow down to a 11, 5, and 2 frames per second rate then proceed to return back up to my previous set 40?"

To state the history of my computer it has some ware on it. I purchased this laptop back in 2009, I believe in Febuary. Purchased by a custom PC manufacturer called "Cyber Power". It utilizes: a T9400 Intel core 2 Duo CPU processor, an Nvidia 9600M GT video card, 4 GB DDR2 Ram Memory, and a 232 GB Hard Drive which I keep cleaned of Data clutter and always keep defragmented using system tools.

Now, I can understand that yes, hardware wares down with age. But personally I'd like to know if theres anything I could do about helping my computer right now. If the thing could run "Spore, and Modern Warfare", out of the box. Then I would like to know what is holding it back from running something as simple as World of Warcraft on it's lowest settings.

Again, thank you to anyone who could help. Apologies for the long winded explanation.

Resolved: I found that the issue was my motherboard keeping the rest of my compoments before a certain performance level to reduce heat production. Reason for this was because my Heatsink was clogged with a thick layer of fine dust and was working at about 20% capacity. Upon clearing the obstruction my frame rates are for the most part back to the way they were. Just in case anyone was wondering.

Edited by lithoden, 21 October 2012 - 04:19 PM.

Advertisements