Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Change FSB for Athlon XP 3100+

• Please log in to reply

AngeloAbreu

AngeloAbreu

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello guys,

after reading some very good reviews from you, i'm contacting you because I need help.

I have a PCChips 863G motherboard and I've bougth a AMD Athlon XP 3100+ 2.2ghz for it. The problem is that it runs, actually, at 1.1ghz. The seller told me that I have to set the FSB to 200/400 so it will run at the expected speed.I have a 2gb PC2700 DDr333mhz memory connected to motherboard.

Could you please help me to set FSB or how to put the CPU running at the right speed?

Thank you very much for your time!

Best regards from Madeira Island, Portugal!
Angelo Abreu

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
:welcome: AngeloAbreu

The information that I can find for your brand and model of MB shows that there are two revisions of the board, the V5.1A and the V7.1C, the maximum FSB for the V5.1A is 333MHz and the maximum FSB for the V7.1C is the lesser 266 MHz, please see the attached links and confirm whether or not one of them is the same MB that you have, 5.1 http://www.pcchips.c...enuID=1&LanID=0 and the 7.1 revision http://download.ecsu...l/M863Gv71C.pdf

Also please note that neither of the above MBs are compatible with an AMD Athlon XP 3100+ CPU, see the CPU support tab at the first link for the 5.1 rev and for the 7.1 rev http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813185076 and the CPU that goes with the 7.1 http://www.cpu-world...S1750FXC3M.html

AngeloAbreu

AngeloAbreu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello Phillpower!

Mine is the V5.1.A, I have read the specification on the pcchips website and only looked at this "M863G is one of the most advance and unique modules of PCCHIPS production. It can also support latest AMD Athlon XP CPUs,", not paying atention to the "up to 333MHz FSB". Now I have a 400mhz processor in a max 33mhz motherboard. What can I do to make it run faster, if I can do that? What is the best processor for this MB?

Thank you very much for your help.

Angelo Abreu

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
Hello Angelo,

This may be a genuine mistake by the seller of the MB but it may also be a blatant deception, the attached statement below suggests that it is the latter of the two;

The seller told me that I have to set the FSB to 200/400 so it will run at the expected speed.

The stock MB cannot be changed in the BIOS to the 400mhz parameter !
This is a potential minefield to the average user as it will either A, require the system settings to be changed in the BIOS or B: require the MBs BIOS chip to be flashed, both of these have the potential to ruin a MB and again should not be undertaken by the average user for these very reasons.

I have read the specification on the pcchips website and only looked at this "M863G is one of the most advance and unique modules of PCCHIPS production.

Marketing hype that was not even true when the MB was first released many years ago.

AngeloAbreu

AngeloAbreu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hello Angelo,

This may be a genuine mistake by the seller of the MB but it may also be a blatant deception, the attached statement below suggests that it is the latter of the two;

The seller told me that I have to set the FSB to 200/400 so it will run at the expected speed.

The stock MB cannot be changed in the BIOS to the 400mhz parameter !
This is a potential minefield to the average user as it will either A, require the system settings to be changed in the BIOS or B: require the MBs BIOS chip to be flashed, both of these have the potential to ruin a MB and again should not be undertaken by the average user for these very reasons.

I have read the specification on the pcchips website and only looked at this "M863G is one of the most advance and unique modules of PCCHIPS production.

Marketing hype that was not even true when the MB was first released many years ago.

So, I can't do anything to get better performance from the CPU? I was browsing on the BIOS the other day and noticed that there was a way for changing some options from the CPU (1:1; 3:5, etc; 100mhz, 266mhz, etc) and had the hope that one of them could improve the maxspeed from it.

I'm not confortable for flashing the chip, but if I change one of the other options could it run faster?

Regards and thank you for your help,

Angelo Abreu

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
Sorry but there is no way of improving the stock performance, the max MB FSB is 266MHz but the CPU is 400 MHz and as I said previously is not meant to be used with that MB, see attachment below;