Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hello all, I'm upgrading!

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi,
Great that you are happy with the performance.
Your fans are working correctly. I have my top fan on half speed and my front fan on three quarters speed (intake).
At stock speed, the CPU fan should not be noisy, are you sure it is the culprit, at what speed is it running? How are you controlling temps and fan speeds?

To be able to give you good advice, we need you to answer question when asked. IE.
please answer the question in Post #43.
Did you do any optimizing of the SSD?

Advertisements

Dastabah

Dastabah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Sorry, didn't even see that post! I'm using AVG Free version, updated all drivers, updated windows. My fan are on AUTO on bios, I messed around in the settings and lowered all the chassis fans to lowest speed possible just to see, and I could still hear the cpu fan even when lowered all the way. On newegg, all the reviewers complained about the fan noise, I thought they were just being nitpicky but it truly is very audible. So a replacement that doesn't necessarily have to cool much better, but as long as its silent, is preferred.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for the update.
Using info from the following site where fans have been tested on a CPU heat-sink, > http://www.tomshardw...ng-roundup-2012 these two 4 pin PWM fans should be a lot quieter than the stock one
.> http://www.newegg.co...lade Master 120 or,
> http://www.newegg.co...exus-_-35610003
Check the fan blows the correct way and connect to the CPU fan header.

Dastabah

Dastabah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
If I'm not mistaken, those are the fans for the case? My complaint is about the CPU fan since that is the most audible. The Case fans are pretty silent. It's in the right header, not sure how to check to see if it's blowing in the right direction

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Please read through the article,
"

Testing parameters for performance temperature tests were done using an overclocked AMD setup, a AMD 965 Black Edition CPU overclocked to 3900Mhz which was the maximum overclock attainable"

There is very little specific information to base a choice on replacing a CPU fan where actual tests have been done.

Your other option is to search for benchmarks reviews for a replacement after-market cooler.