Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow Performance hp dv7 laptop

• Please log in to reply

dazink

dazink

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello,

For the last month or so I have been experiencing inconsistency in my computer's performance. Symptoms include increased application load time (ex. control panel or web browser), delayed startup, and computer occasionally locking up while doing tasks.

I initially thought I might have a virus. At the time I had Microsoft Security Essentials installed as my antivirus software. I tried scanning with MSE, but it would freeze on a location setspn.exe, I believe. So, I installed Webroot antivirus and that software was able to scan my whole computer, and the scan resulted in no threats. I then thought my problem was being caused by a registry error. I installed CCleaner to help investigate my hypothesis. It found a whole list of registry errors, and I went ahead and fixed the issues it listed. I really did not see a change in performance after the repair.

My computer performance seems to fluctuate. Some days my laptop runs fine, and other days it seems like I have to restart it numerous times because it locks up or to achieve normal performance. I have cleared out my temporary folder via CCleaner, and uninstalled uneccessary/unused programs. Also, I have used CCleaner to clear out registry errors a few times.

I greatly appreciate any help recieved.

P.S. I saw a post from last week that seems simliar to my problem, but I was not able to post in the thread. Dakeyras and godawgs helped the OP.

Thanks,
Josh

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
:welcome: dazink

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop instructions :thumbsup:

dazink

dazink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Here is the link

http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25109759

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Thanks for the url, apart from HP bloatware and other programs that you may not use I do not see any possible causes other than the integrity of the HDD as being responsible;

Go to Start then to Run/Search
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On left side click on Disk Management
On right side you will see your hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply.
Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

dazink

dazink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Here is the screenshot you asked for. Also after investigating more, I have found that my problem mainly occurs during startup. For roughly 15 minutes or so the computer is slow, and at times unresponsive (especially when pulling up programs). Even pulling up task manager takes some time, but looking at task manager there does not seem to be anything out of the usual. I have most start-up programs disabled with no help. After windows loads and before the login screen comes up there is a black screen for about 10 seconds and all I can do is move my mouse. But, it seems if I can get the computer past those first rough patches it will run okay.

Thank you for all your help on this matter, and hopefully we can get to the bottom of this issue.

Could it be a hardware issue?

Hardrive.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Thanks for the screenshot, unfortunately it does not show us all of the information we need, see the .jpeg below.

It could be a hardware issue and so I suggest as a precaution you back up all important data on the HDD, if you do not already have one create a system restore disk in case one is ever required.

Strange as it may sound but some HDDs do work more efficiently when they are warm, can I ask if the HDD has made any strange sounds such as ticking or clunking.

dazink

dazink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Sorry for not responding sooner, here is the updated picture. I have not heard any unusual sounds so far.

Attached Thumbnails

• Diskman.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
No worries, we all have other responsibilities :thumbsup:

Nothing amiss with the information provided to date!

Can you check the power options and the type of your battery please (6 or 8 cell type)
Some info on power options http://h10025.www1.h...cname=c00825528

dazink

dazink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have a 9 cell battery. My laptop is almost always plugged in, so I have the performance set to high

dazink

dazink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have a 9 cell battery. My laptop is almost always plugged in, so I have the performance set to high

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Does the performance appear to drop when connected to the AC adapter or the battery only.
Note that prolonged use of the AC adapter with the battery fitted and fully charged will damage the battery.

Lets see if a tidy up of the data on your HDD helps, please follow the directions provided below starting with Autoruns http://technet.micro...ernals/bb963902

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
5: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
6: Attach to your next reply.

2nd: Download and run TFC from http://www.geekstogo...ds&showfile=187 your computer should automatically re-boot on completion but if not do it manually.

3rd: Defrag your HDD http://www.auslogics...re/disk-defrag/ a tidy drive is a faster drive, please note that I am not suggesting that you use any other product or service at the link.

To speed up your boot times find any unnecessary programs linked to start up "how to" below;

START -> RUN
type MSCONFIG in the RUN box
then click OK

Click on the start-up TAB

Look at each line that has a check in the box, these are start-up items, with the exception of Windows programs and your anti virus software uncheck the ones you do not want to run at start-up.

dazink

dazink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I did all of the steps you listed. After doing the second step my computer actually started up and was not sluggish. My power cord was not plugged in at the time either. I'll probably restart the laptop again tonight to see if there is any improvement after the third step. I'll add another reply when I do. We might be getting close to a solution!

Attached Files

dazink

dazink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
So I just restarted the computer. It seemed to take awhile to load Windows and bring up the login screen. After my login though there was not any hanging or freezing. I did this unplugged again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Have you completed steps 3 and 4 yet and if so how is the notebook running now.

Your Autoruns are ok BTW :thumbsup:

dazink

dazink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I did the other steps as well, and my performance still seems about the same as when I originally posted. Booting up windows seems to take longer actually.