Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista won't load/ boot mgr missing/recovery don't work

• Please log in to reply

BeckyH

BeckyH

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
While attempting to reset my older vista laptop to factory settings, it has decided to not work at all. Its an HP Dv4 with 64 bit Vista OS.
I tried to do the system restore first from the discs I made right after getting the computer and kept getting error 1002. Then I tried to do it from the "hard drive" and it once again popped up the error 1002 message except now when it tries to restart it says boot mgr missing, press ctrl alt delete to restart,(vicious unending circle) unless I use the F11 and go into the restore thing again which once again throws me into the error 1002 message, click it tries to reboot etc.
Any help with getting this thing to restore to factory settings would be helpful I CAN get into the command prompts...if that helps...
Thanks
Becky

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Unfortunately, you are not alone. See the results of this Google search: hp windows 7 recovery error 1002

If you do not have a Windows Vista installation DVD, you can download a legal copy with SP1 integrated from here:

Download Official Windows Vista RTM with SP1 Setup Files (32-bit and 64-bit).

Only Windows Vista Ultimate with SP1 (32-bit or x86) download is available, but if, during the install, you do not enter the product key when initially prompted for it (which you must have to use the download), then you will be prompted to select the version of Vista you want to install.
  • Windows Vista Home Basic
  • Windows Vista Home Premium
  • Windows Vista Business
  • Windows Vista Ultimate
There is no .iso to download, you download 3 files for X86 or X64. You activate Vista once it's installed.

X86:
  • X14-63542.exe
  • boot.wim
  • install.wim (this is the bigest one)
X64:
  • X14-63543.exe
  • boot.wim
  • install.wim (this is the biggest one)
Then as is stated on the site,

If you want to create a setup disc for clean installation, run the EXE file and it'll extract the required setup files in a folder which can be used to create a setup disc using a freeware given here.

You may have to find some device drivers dong it this way and you will not have any of the software bundled with your computer when you purchased it (not a bad thing as most of it us useless crapware/foistware any way).

Make sure you install SP2 then all updates before doing much else.

BeckyH

BeckyH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
ok not sure what I am doing wrong here...I downloaded the X64 to my download folder:

X14-63543.exe
boot.wim
install.wim (this is the biggest one)

then I've tried to create a bootable USB like it said on the site here

http://www.askvg.com...-windows-vista/

and I do ok tii I get to step 5. Then when I type in the command bootsect etc it gives me the following:
'bootsect' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

What am I doing wrong?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Did you see this part?

5. Now we need to create Boot sector on USB drive. We'll use "bootsect.exe" utility for this task. You can find this utility in Windows Vista setup disk. It'll be present in "Boot" directory.

You need to double click on X14-63543.exe which will extract all the files in it to a Vista folder. Under there is the boot folder and in there is the bootsect.exe program you need. If you have 7-Zip or WinZip installed you can right click on the X14-63543.exe file, then the Vista and boot folders and copy the bootsect.exe file from it.

BeckyH

BeckyH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
yes I did...I double clicked on that file which extracted them to a folder...when I double click on the bootsect.exe command (in the boot folder) it throws up an error that says it is not compatible with the OS system I am running...the laptop I am attempting to restore this to had a 64 bit operating system and the other computers in the house are 32 bit operating systems OR win 7 which it won't run from either...

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Did you download the 64bit Vista files? Sounds like you got the 32bit ones.

64bit bootsect.exe 1161143 bytes 2008-01-21 12:00
32bit bootsect.exe 102400 bytes 2008-01-19 12:00

Also, you don't double click on it, you run it from the Command Prompt window as shown in the tutorialk you were following.

I'm going to go through the process and see if I can successfully create a Vista install Flash drive.

I'll post results in a while.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Okay, here is what I did.

Downloaded the Vista X64 files.
install.wim
boot.wim
X14-63453.exe

Double clicked on X14-63453.exe. It extracted all the files into a Vista folder.

Downloaded Windows Bootable Image Creator (windows_bootable_image_creator_by_vishal_gupta-d4ba9mu.zip) then extracted the files to a folder. Open the folder and run WBICreator.exe.
Click Next
Select OS Type: Windows Vista
CD/DVD Label: VistaX64
Setup Location: The Vista folder created when you double clicked on X14-63453.exe.
Output Path: Somewhere with enough free space to hold the .iso file that will be created (3,837,112KB).
Click GO.

When done a VistaX64.iso file will be created in the Output Path you chose.

You can use the .iso as input to a burner program like ImgBurn to create a Vista Install DVD, or you can use it as Input to Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3 to create a Vista install flash drive.

I created the flash drive. Have not tried to boot it yet as I'm still using my Win 7 system but will soon.

Edit: I just booted the flash drive and it works perfectly.

BeckyH

BeckyH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
yes it was the 64 bit I downloaded...made sure of that

yes I tried to doubleclick it and it didn't work (as you said) but when I tried to run it from the command prompt it tells me "'bootsect' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." (which is what I tried to do first before trying the doubleclick thing..thats what I had put in my first response). Since it worked for you let me try again and I'll get back with you in a bit...

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
bootsect.exe has to be in the folder you are trying to run it from or in a folder that is in the PATH, somewhere that it can be found when you try to use it or you need to provide the full path to bootsect.exe.

In my case, to run it it I would type "E:\sources\ISO Images\Windows Windows Vista Ultimate with SP1 (32-bit or x86)\X64\Vista\boot\bootsect.exe" (need the double quotes because the path contains spaces).