Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer doesn't boot/doesn't show anything after power button

• Please log in to reply

shubhamsen4

shubhamsen4

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hey guys,I recently bought 2 2gb transcend RAMs(800Mhz, code:JM800QLU-2G) to replace the 1gb RAM I previously had on my M2N MX SE PLUS motherboard. After that, to my surprise when I pressed the power button nothing appeared on the monitor but the CPU fan etc were running. The only abnormality that found on the CPU was that the light which showed that the power was on kept blinking after regular intervals. After that I found that each individual RAM had no problem in running separately on any of the 2 slots available on my motherboard but well together they caused a problem. I even tried a method that I found on the following page since I found that his problem was quite similar to mine:

http://blog.esu10.or...us-motherboard/

PLEASE HELP.

Edited by shubhamsen4, 22 October 2012 - 08:02 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
both sticks work individually in the same slot on the motherboard? have you tried both in a second slot individually? that will rule out the actual headers on the board being bad.

shubhamsen4

shubhamsen4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yeah I have.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sorry, you actually said that in your original post...didn't catch that. does the new ram work with the old ram still in? like, one stick of new with the one stick of old?

shubhamsen4

shubhamsen4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Sorry for the mistake but please read the next post.

Edited by shubhamsen4, 22 October 2012 - 10:31 AM.

shubhamsen4

shubhamsen4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Since the old ram was of another make and was 1gb, I think it's not recommended that I do this. Plus I don't have it anymore.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
mixing make/model/speeds isn't a "this computer will explode if you do this" as long as all of the ram is physically compatible. you can mix and match it just effects overall speed/performance if the speeds of the ram aren't the same (size is irrelevant, so is, for the most part, brand). was just looking for a quick way to test the stuff.

i know you theoretically have already reset the CMOS info by using the jumper but let's try a different way.

unplug the power from the computer, open it up, put the ram in, and remove the battery from the motherboard (should be a little watch battery somewhere on the board), while that's out hold the power button in for 30-60 seconds, put the battery back in, and power the computer up. any change?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I hope you do not mind me coming in.
I would suggest you do a compatability ram search at Transcend

Certainly that 800Mhz ram is not on the OVL list for the board, although of course, ASUS as all other motherboard manufacturers make it clear that all ram cannot be checked

I have done a search for you at Transcend
http://uk.transcend-...ibility.asp?out=

and two matters come to my attention
Firstly, unless I have missed it and I do not think I have, you do not say what the old ram was - by that I mean was that 800Mhz or 667 etc.

Here is the memory QVL list and you will see that only one 2x2Gb- ram certified on the list that is - Apacer
http://uk.asus.com/M...MX_SE_Plus/#MSL
DDRII 800 2G Apacer AHU02GE800C5N1C

I have checked that as far as is possible and it appears to be of this specification
http://eu.apacer.com.../UDIMM-DDR2-800

Whilst the Transcend is this
http://tw.transcend-...topNotebook.pdf

and this
https://docs.google....9Fh0V9BDcuUaqPA

NOW keeping it as straightforward as I can, and try as you might it is difficult to make it EASY to follow if, you do not have some knowledge of ram.

The Transcend ram is NOT the same default latency and timings as the Apacer ram

I am of the opinion that you will have to manually set ram in the BIOS to get the transcend jet ram to work

ALSO and perhaps far easier to follow is this from Transcend
Modules must be ordered and installed in pairs for dual channel mode. *AMD Sempron processors support DDR2-533 and DDR2-667 memory only. DDR2-800/1066 modules are not supported with this processor *DDR2-1066 is supported by AM2+ CPUs only.

So I suppose the 1000$ QUESTION is which processor do you have.

Hope it is of some assistance and if it WERE me, I would, if you cannot sort it out, with our assistance, ask Transcend their support is quite good.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 22 October 2012 - 12:30 PM.

shubhamsen4

shubhamsen4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
In reply to macboatmaster I have AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ 2.61ghz.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
and what please was the spec of the old ram

Advertisements

shubhamsen4

shubhamsen4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Kingston 667mhz. Sorry but I don't remember the serial no. and the method dsenette told about didn't work.

By the way,how would you replace damaged headers on a motherboard and what happens when I press the power button for 30-60
sec when it is off?

Edited by shubhamsen4, 22 October 2012 - 02:28 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well you cannot, realistically - but in order to eliminate confusion are you talking about headers - such as front panel USB etc or are you suspecting that a ram slot is defective

In respect of the ram and depending on your level of knowledge you have as I see it a choice

1. You can consult Transcend

2. You can if possible refer to the supplier and see if there is a chance of changing the ram if that 667 was in 512 x 2 I see no reason why you would not achieve success with 2 x 2GB of 667 Transcend
Indeed I think you may have been OK with the standard Transcend rather than the Jet ram.

3. You can try changing settings in BIOS, but there is no guarantee of success and the system must be monitored closely for temps etc.

4. Was the 1Gb in 2 x 512 or single channel with just one slot populated
Perhaps another relevant question is and my colleague touched on it - why is the old ram not available as presumably you have only just put the new ram in.
Was the old ram subject of a problem as against just an upgrade

Edited by Macboatmaster, 22 October 2012 - 02:34 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the old ram isn't available because he sold it

the ram he bought is compatible (or should be) with his motherboard (based on the transcend website that lists his specific motherboard and his specific RAM p/n)

the power button thing, assuming you've taken out the CMOS battery, and it's unplugged from the wall will discharge the "flea" power from the motherboard which will cause the BIOS info in the CMOS to revert to absolute defaults.

assuming this computer isn't from the dark ages, you shouldn't have to do any manual ram timing setting changes for ram that's compatible with the board (and tested as such by the supplier).

I would contact transcend directly, or whoever you bought the ram from at this point and describe your problem and see what they say.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
SORRY

Saw

Plus I don't have it anymore.

must have missed that it was sold.

I know now, it is compatible as of course I provided the link to Transcend

the ram he bought is compatible (or should be) with his motherboard (based on the transcend website that lists his specific motherboard and his specific RAM p/n)

However I was not certain until I established the processor.

I would contact transcend directly

I agree, and recommended this on my post 8

ask Transcend their support is quite good.

shubhamsen4
As my colleague says the memory is shown as compatible - by Transcend - and now I know which processor you have - indeed it is so.
However and please remember you will sometimes get a difference of opinion, especially perhaps on something as, open to discussion as configuring memory

It is I think interesting to note that Crucial -
RECOMMEND this memory for 2 x 2 GB

http://www.crucial.c...US&model=M2N-MX SE Plus

DDR2 667

As indeed to Mr Memory
http://www.mrmemory....~M2N-MX+SE+Plus#

and all I can see does indeed point to problems using DDR2 800 - on that board - usually resolved by setting in BIOS
Memory Controller settings for
Memory Configuration
Page 22 section 2.4.2. of your manual for the Asus

See this please
http://www.tomshardw...memory-problems
it tends to confirm my opinion.

HOWEVER I must stress the risk involved as I mentioned - NO RISK simply to try, but close monitoring needed when running.
ALSO it would be wrong of me not to remind you of my colleagues views on this issue

assuming this computer isn't from the dark ages, you shouldn't have to do any manual ram timing setting changes for ram that's compatible with the board (and tested as such by the supplier).

Also without getting too technical AMD processors, unlike Intel ones, do not specify a ram speed as such, as they are generally on that family of AMD that you have, known to automatically adjust for ram settings
However there is some evidence to suggest that the basic configuration settings that are available in the BIOS on page 22 of the manual may prove successful.
As may depending on which version you have a BIOIS update.

However that is always risky and even if we offer guidance, you may feel that "more hands on" assistance is what you need.

Good luck with it and please do not hesitate to ask for any clarification.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 22 October 2012 - 06:02 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I have posted separately, rather than add it to the last, so that you cannot miss it

This forum will be of help to you I feel sure
http://vip.asus.com/...SLanguage=en-us

You will find many have had similar problems and most have been solved by changing settings as mentioned
This success of course, is dependant on something else not being amiss

When you come back please do develop on the header repair you mentioned.

and I see you have already set ganged mode support
try bank interleaving setting
Think it is auto, enabled, disabled.
Probably set disabled - try auto if that is available OR enabled and if that has options set bank 4.- see below please.

Set in BIOS Save and exit
Shut Down
reboot

bank interleaving is not the memory stick itself but the banks on the stick and it allows banks to be accessed, in otherwords the data read or written, while others are being refreshed

I do NOT think your BIOS has an option other than enabled or disabled, if it does set it bank 4
that is because in simple terms your memory is known as quad bank

http://www.techarp.c...ang=0&bogno=169

FINALLY for this post, I of course only came in at post 8 -
I may have missed it, if so I apologise -
What operating system please.
as if you do not have them, I would install the latest, albbeit they are not now NEW - chipset drivers from the O/S
http://uk.asus.com/M..._Plus/#download

Edited by Macboatmaster, 22 October 2012 - 06:03 PM.