Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Black screen with blinking cursor problem

• Please log in to reply

ohhtee90

ohhtee90

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Someone please help. I have a black screen with a blinking cursor. I called Dell and they told me to use the reinstallation disc. I did that and it rebooted to further the process and the pc still went to the black screen after the dell load up screen. Someone please help. Please.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
If this is a normal Dell XP Re-installation CD then your should be able to get to the Recovery Console and run chkdsk.

Boot the CD and at the first opportunity, enter R to start the Recovery Console.

Next, choose which XP installation you want to login to. Normally this will be 1.
Lastly you will be asked for the Administrator password. Just press the Enter key as the Administrator does not have a password (unless you gave it one, then you would enter it).

From the command prompt, type: chkdsk /r and press Enter.
Allow it to complete undisturbed. It can take an hour or more depending on the size of the hard drive.

Remove the CD, type exit and the computer will reboot. Hopefully that will have fixed the problem (corrupted file system).

ohhtee90

ohhtee90

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
When Dell helped me they had me delete the partition so I cant log in cause the data has been deleted. So I cant repair it anymore, can I? I hope I can. Is there another method I could use please? (It does say before the process starts to push F6 to install a third party driver or something like that.)

Edited by ohhtee90, 23 October 2012 - 04:37 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
What is the model number of your Dell? Does it have a SATA or PATA (IDE) hard drive?

Does the drive show up in BIOS Setup? If not then you can't install to it. If it does then you should be able to.

This is a pretty good tutorial: How to Reinstall Windows XP on a Dell

Read more: How to Reinstall Windows XP on a Dell

ohhtee90

ohhtee90

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Its PP10S. The service tag number is 8YDCT71. Im not sure. How do I check for the SATA or IDE hard drive?
Now its saying when I forgot to push F12, it went to the cursor screen and it said "error in loading hard drive"
I'll do the tutorial now and see where it goes. Its definitely my hard drive. It has something corrupted in it. The diagnostics and everything is fine. Its just the hard drive for sure. If I can reset the hard drive then let me know. I'll do it to save the laptop.

Edited by ohhtee90, 23 October 2012 - 11:19 PM.