Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screen went black, pc wont boot now

• Please log in to reply

Fctsu2000

Fctsu2000

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi guys.

So i was watching netflix and suddenly my screen went black. The monitor acted as if the computer was going to sleep but the pc was still on. Before i hard booted it i checked to make sure all the exterior cables (to the monitor) were seated properly. After i shut it down manually it will no longer turn on. It will turn on for a split second but immediately turns back off. No beep, just the lights inside the chassis and the fans are on so briefly that they dont even complete a rotation.

I built this rig about 3 years ago. I reseated all internal cables including the ones running from the pwr button to the mobo and the psu to the mobo. I placed the video card in the other slot and changed sata cables around. All this lead to the same result.

Remember i built this 3yrs ago so i may not know exact models but i know brands.
Specs:
Gigabyte mobo
Nvidea gtx 9800 video card
Antec power supply
Primary hdd WD caviar black 500GB
Back up WD caviar green 750GB

I know its not the hdds but i cant eliminate the possibility that its not any or all of the other 3.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Update: now it doesnt even turn on for a split second. Just dead. If it was solely the power supply i would think that it would shut the computer off originally and not waited for me to manually shut down. I just dont want to order a new power supply and it not be the solution.
Thanks again for any assistance.

Edited by phillpower2, 23 October 2012 - 12:20 PM.
email address removed for security

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday Fctsu2000< Posted Image

Your PSU could have been failing and a cold boot finished it off. Given that no fans are running and (if you no longer have lights on the Mobo?) I would try the following first.

Swap in a know working PSU of the same wattage or higher.
Take the PSU to a local computer store, they will often do a check for free or for a few dollars, depending on the result, we can proceed from there.

What is the model of the PSU?
If further help is required, we need to know the full specs of the build.

Edited by iammykyl, 23 October 2012 - 12:17 AM.

leona5667

leona5667

• Pip
  • 2 posts
The same thing happen to my laptop yesterday, the only difference is my laptop will turn on, I can log in and everything seems to be working properly and then after like 5 minutes the screen will go black. Any suggestions?

Fctsu2000

Fctsu2000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the fast response. Again i bought it about 3 years ago so i don't think its the exact one but very close.

http://www.newegg.co...#scrollFullInfo

I recall it having 700-750 watts and cost me around $130.

Fctsu2000

Fctsu2000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I talked to local repair shops and they all want to charge me at least $50 just to test PSU power. Not even plug into my computer to see if it will boot it. Not worth the money to me for that service.

What I decided to do is order a new power supply, mobo, RAM, and video card, use each to test what the issue is and then return what's not needed. The problem comes in with the mobo. I believe I run a quad core processor but can't find a mobo that supports that CPU, or maybe I'm not reading the specs right.

Any advice on what kind of mobo I can get w/o spending $300 on a new processor?

When I find the parts I'm looking at I'll post links so you guys can see detailed specs.

I can't say how much I appreciate all the help and advice. So much more helpful than calling local repair shops.

Edited by Fctsu2000, 23 October 2012 - 12:43 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Please confirm that you get a single beep when the computer normally boots up.

The PSU is the prime suspect but can I ask you to remove the memory stick/s from the MB and see if there is any change in the behaviour.

Fctsu2000

Fctsu2000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
No beep when it normally boots. I've had some that do in the past but they'd beep maybe after 2-3 seconds. This doesn't stay on for more than 1/4 of a second.

Fctsu2000

Fctsu2000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I gutted the computer and unplugged all cables including pcu fan and one from power switch to mobo. I then connected only the mobo to the power supply and turned on using a screwdriver to bridge the connection and turn power on. Power supply good to go! It had to be a short now so i plugged in each component until i found the one that made it die. It is the video card.

Thanks for all the help and quick replies from those on the forum and hopefully anyone who runs across this type of issue in the future can gut their computer and check for something causing a short.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Thanks for the update Fctsu2000, I am sorry to hear that your video card has gone bad :(

FWIW: The reason why I asked about the single post beep and suggested removing the Ram was because if the MB did have a speaker and you got error beeps with the Ram removed it would suggest that the MB was failing the POST at the video card/chip stage of testing.