Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

laptop and screen comes on but after 5-10 minutes screen goes black

• Please log in to reply

leona5667

leona5667

• Pip
  • 2 posts
So my laptop's screen keeps going black I thought my laptop went into sleep mode, until I realized the screen would not come back on. I originally thought this was because maybe I had a virus on my laptop. After logging in and running a quick virus scan, I show that there is no viruses on my laptop. then the screen goes black again. Then I reboot and run the Sony vaio care which checked to make sure the video and CPU were running correctly. Everything is running normally. Then the screen go black again. I have tried to connect my laptop to my TV, but the problem still occurs. I even tried removing the battery and unplugging the power cord and changing the screen saver setting. At this point I am stumped... Please help....

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
:welcome: leona5667

Your notebook may be overheating, can you please answer the following;
Which particular model of Sony Vaio is it.
How old is the notebook.
Has the inside of the case ever been cleaned out of heat trapping dust.
Can you hear the cooling fan running and does it sound as it did before the issue started.
What is the ambient room temperature like where the notebook is used.

tiffany2007

tiffany2007

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My suggestion would be to unplug the cord from the connection on the computer, then remove the battery. After you've done that, press and hold the On/Off switch for about 60 seconds, then, after you've done that connect everything back together, and see if it will reboot. If not, check the hard drive, and the ram and make sure they are all connected tightly.

The "black screen of death" is usually very easy to repair on a laptop. First turn your computer off by pressing and holding down the start button. Next unplug the computer and then remove the battery. Press and hold down the start button for about 60 seconds. Release the button and plug in the computer. Press the start button and the display should return. Replace the battery. If this does not work, try it again up to four times. No results usually indicates a bad mother board. Hope this helps.

Or your laptop dc jack is loose or bad. Considering replace it or repair it.