Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Screen & Shut down Issue

• Please log in to reply

ntlyke

ntlyke

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hello all,

thats my first post but I have seen here that people like to help a lot. So:

I had some HD issues in the past 2 weeks but I changed that in cooperation with Western Digital. I had warranty and they have sent me new one etc.. For 2 days I have new HD and installed Windows 7 64x bit. However since last night I keep getting black screen every hour or so and it shuts down itself. Sometimes it just freezes up and I have to shut down my laptop manually.

I dont think it'a virus since I have my windows for 2 days up.

Do you guys think you can help me?

Thanks a lot.

System :

Windows 7 64bit

Acer Aspire 8530G Laptop
AMD Turion X2 RM-75 2.2 GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon 3650 HD
4 GB Memory
Laptop is approx. 3 years old.

Edited by ntlyke, 25 October 2012 - 07:01 AM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
It sounds like the computer may be over heating.

Make sure you did not unplug or loosen a fan when you were replacing the hard drive. Open it up again and very carefully check all connection, especially fans.

ntlyke

ntlyke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hi,

I checked hardware temperatures and they seemed just fine. CPU was like 60-65C. I just checked with ComboFix, even though the windows is just installed. It said that the userinit.exe was infected and successfully restored.

I dont know if it will fix the problem but is it possible that the infected file was the reason?

Forece

Forece

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Use Hiren's BOOT CD, Check Your Memory is good or not.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Don't know, but you will find out when you reboot for sure.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi ntyke,

Where did you get the media used to reinstall the Operating System onto the new HD?

ComboFix is not a toy and should never be executed without the guidance of a trained professional who knows what that tool is capable of doing to your system.

Yes! There is a strong possibility that the infected userinit file could have been the cause of the black screens. There's also a possibility that you may have more malware on your computer causing this issue that we are not able to resolve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums.

I'd like to suggest that you read the 'Start Here' topic found HERE. Beginning at Step 2 of the guide, continue with Steps 3, 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs.

Please DO NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here.

Donna :)

Edited by DonnaB, 28 October 2012 - 09:29 AM.

ntlyke

ntlyke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hi Donna,

thanks for your help.

I am pretty sure there's no other malware in my computer since I haven't downloaded anything yet.

I got my Windows operator from my university, so its fully licensed and legal.

Just an hour ago my computer was frozen again and I checked the eventviewer and found out an 'Kernel Power' problem. Can we go from there with skipping the malware procedure.

Attached Thumbnails

• Unbenannt3.png

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi ntlyke,

Sorry for the delay. Had to check something out

Can we go from there with skipping the malware procedure.

Yes we can. That infected userinit file threw me for a loop. Especially since you had installed the OS 2 days prior. Next I would check the memory as Forece suggested above.

Check out the post by Andre'Ziegler HERE for the instructions on how to create the memtest86+ disk that you will need.

Many thanks to Essexboy for the link and his expert guidance.

Edited by DonnaB, 30 October 2012 - 04:29 PM.

ntlyke

ntlyke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hello,

6 passes without any errors in MemTest. Also checked CPU-z and everything matched. (only DRAM Frequency in memory tab shows 333.3 - 333.6 and in the SPD tab it says only 333).

What should I do next?

Thanks

christopha2

christopha2

• Pip
  • 4 posts
having abit of trouble with my laptop and tried fixing it but don't know were to start. started upgrading it to windows 8 and just as it was finishing the last bits it went off. every time I boot it back up it loads n then comes up with a error sayin press ok to restart installation but when I do that it don't restart installation just does same thing again. so I cant get on comp itself and when I press the F11 button when it first loads up to get onto system restore it don't do nothing and wont take me through to system restore. can anybody help?

Advertisements

ntlyke

ntlyke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Better make your own topic to get a help :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: christopha2

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Please post more information as to your exact issue in your topic. Include any error messages you get as well as your system specs. This will help us to assist you more efficiently.
Thank you for your cooperation.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Malware Check/Removal process now ongoing here.

Please no more proactive posts in this topic until I give the all clear in the aforementioned Anti-Malware topic , thank you.

ntlyke

ntlyke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hello,

Malware Free report : http://www.geekstogo...ost__p__2225455

So after this, my computer froze again.

Could you please provide me any further help?

thanks

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Remove 1/2 of the installed ram then run for awhile and see what happens. If it freezes, swap the ram and test again. If, with the removal of either you no longer get a freeze then replace the ram.

Are you current with Windows Updates, including any hardware drivers?