Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Runscanner report? [Solved]

• Please log in to reply

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Let's do some much needed updates:

Step 1.

Posted Image UPDATE JAVA
Your version of Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older versions of Java components and update:

Clear the Java Cache by following the instructions here

• Please download JavaRa to your desktop.
    • Click the Download button next to Legacy Version Version 1.1.6 to download JavaRA and unzip it to its own folder.
  • Run JavaRa.exe
  • Pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions. Accept any prompts.
    Posted Image
  • Open JavaRa.exe again and select Search For Updates.
  • Select Update Using Sun Java's Website then click Search and click on the Open Webpage button. Download and install the latest Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version for your computer.
    • The most current version is Java SE 7u9. You want the Windows (86) Offline 32bit version.

Step 2.

Update Adobe Reader

Recently there have been vulnerabilities detected in older versions of Adobe Reader. It is strongly suggested that you update to the current version.

Uninstall all previous versions.
Download the latest version from: http://www.adobe.com.../readstep2.html

If you already have Adobe Photoshop® Album Starter Edition installed or do not wish to have it installed UNcheck the box which says Also Download Adobe Photoshop® Album Starter Edition.

Step 3.

Once you have completed these steps please let me know and also update me on the computer performance. We will work on the shutdown next.

Advertisements

Firecow

Firecow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Right o, I think I've done all that? I went onto Facebook and it was very slow to update the pages, it also asked me if I wanted to download an IE add on installer or something? It was a Windows Microsoft thing, I have not accepted that, but then I couldn't see the video.
Do I need to keep copies of the OTL reports etc.?
And I had to delete the old Adobe stuff myself, the installer didn't do that for me. Is that correct so far?

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts

Do I need to keep copies of the OTL reports etc.?

Please keep until we are done.

And I had to delete the old Adobe stuff myself, the installer didn't do that for me. Is that correct so far?

Yes :thumbsup:

Step One: Start the Configuration Utility

First, log on to your computer using an account with administrator rights.

• Click Start Posted Image.
  • In the Start Search Box type msconfig.exe and press Enter to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: If you are prompted for an administrator password, enter it and click Continue.

Posted Image

The System Configuration Utility dialog box will be displayed.

Step Two: Configure Selective Startup Options

• In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click the General tab.
  • Click Selective Startup.
  • Click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
  • Verify that Load System Services and Use Original BOOT.INI are checked.

Posted Image

Next:

• Click the Services tab.
  • Click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
  • Click Disable All, and then click OK.
  • When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.

Posted Image

Step Three: Log on to Windows

Now startup and shutdown with these settings and come back and tell me if the startup and shutdown are any faster.

Also if faster are they back to normal speed?

Firecow

Firecow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Evening CompCav
Start up is much better than it has been, shut down is still doing a lot of thinking even if I haven't opened anything. I don't remember that it used to take several minutes to switch off. It still seems to be pretty slow. Switch on and connect to the internet is more like I remember.

F

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
OK then you have an issue with one of the services on startup and it may be affecting your internet so here is the tedious but necessary part of the process:

Since you have already done steps one and two skip to step three and follow the instructions. I have included all the steps because step 3 refers to early steps.

Step One: Start the Configuration Utility

First, log on to your computer using an account with administrator rights.

• Click Start Posted Image.
  • In the Start Search Box type msconfig.exe and press Enter to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: If you are prompted for an administrator password, enter it and click Continue.

Posted Image

The System Configuration Utility dialog box will be displayed.

Step Two: Configure Selective Startup Options

• In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click the General tab.
  • Click Selective Startup.
  • Click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
  • Verify that Load System Services and Use Original BOOT.INI are checked.

Posted Image

Next:

• Click the Services tab.
  • Click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
  • Click Disable All, and then click OK.
  • When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.

Posted Image

Step Three: Log on to Windows

Now we get to the tedious part:

• Restart the System Configuration Utility following the above instructions and select the Services tab.
  • Select half of the disabled services and reboot.
  • If your problem is still present deselect half of the disabled services, reboot and test your system again. If your problem no longer exists, select half of the remaining services, reboot and test your system again.
  • Keep repeating this process until you have isolated the one service/driver that is causing the problem. Let me know what that service is.

Firecow

Firecow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hello there
I've tried several times to do that (msconfig - services - disable all - hide all microsoft). Each time it reboots and I go back to that chart everything, except the 2 Adobe boxes, are activated again. I don't think that's right is it? When I uncheck everything, I remember to press apply then ok. Likewise, when I select half of them, everything is checked again when I switch it back on. What's going wrong??

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts

(msconfig - services - disable all - hide all microsoft)

You need to do the order this way:

msconfig - services - hide all microsoft - disable all - apply - OK

When the computer boots up say yes to continue with selective startup.

Firecow

Firecow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
So, I've just done the msconfig again in the exact order above and most of the things are still checked (except Adobe, Google updaters, Skype and Realtek something). About half the items have stopped written beside them, half are still running. I can't get them all to stop at the same time. It looks ok before I shut down, everything hidden all bar about 10 things which can all be disabled. When it restarts it goes back to how it was originally? When I select half of them to shut down, they're all back again when it comes back on.
Ha haha I was doing well up til that point eh?? :confused:

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Make sure you run msconfig as administrator and also that you are running this from an admin authorized account.

To run as administrator right click on msconfig and select Run as administrator.

If you still have problems please attach a screenshot.

How to Get a Screenshot

To do a screenshot please click your Print Screen key on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

Firecow

Firecow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hi there CompCav
It seems to be set to administrator already. It still keeps restarting with the original settings. I have taken screenshots, but there's about a dozen of them. I'll just attach the first one now, if I have taken shots of the right things, I can send you the rest later.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot1.jpg

Advertisements

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
All of those with check marks are suppose to be on since they are Microsoft base services.

You need to hide them each time when you make your selections.

When you have them all selected for disable how is the start and shutdown compared to normal start and shutdown?

Firecow

Firecow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Oh ok! Well in that case, there's no change! The start up is pretty good, like normal. The shut down is still slower than I remember it used to be. I have just tried it again now the other laptop users in the house have gone to bed. It seems the same as it has been the last few days

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
OK Let's try to speed up the shutdown.

To make Vista Shutdown quicker we will do a Registry fix manually:

Go here and follow the instructions to reduce the shutdown time, set value to 5000.

Let me know how it goes.

Firecow

Firecow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Ah hah, that's suddenly better. Start up seems ok now, shut down is immediately logging off and then taking a couple of minutes to switch off. That's more how I remember it should be. Great, thank you for that

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
So what issues remain during a normal startup and shutdown?

What other issues remain?

Regards,

CompCav