Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Runscanner report? [Solved]

• Please log in to reply

Firecow

Firecow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Evening :)
It mostly seems to be ok again now on start up/shut down. It is still sometimes not able to show 'add ons' on a couple of websites. Apart from that generally much better than a week or so ago.
You mentioned about getting more memory? I would need to buy memory to plug into the motherboard or something? Or is it something I can do by shuffling things about on my computer?
Anyway many thanks for all your help up til this point

F

Advertisements

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts

You mentioned about getting more memory? I would need to buy memory to plug into the motherboard or something?

This connects to the motherboard inside the computer. You can use the scanner and if it does not work the site has a downloadable scanner to run to tell you what you need. You do not need to buy it from them but you can they are reputable.

Regards,

CompCav

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Which add ons are not working properly on some sites and in which browsers?

Firecow

Firecow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hiya :)
I just wanted to see how things are these days. The computer seems pretty good at the moment. I have had 2 or 3 big freezes over the last couple of days, that didn't sort themselves out, so I unplugged everything and started again (the reset button didn't even work the first time). Each time it's given me one low quite loud beep and then won't respond.
I haven't tried Chrome, I've been using IE, the one website I've particularly noticed that's not able to load the add ons is freemeteo.com It didn't specify which ones. There have been a couple of other random sites that couldn't load the add ons, but I don't remember which sites they were. I'll keep an eye out.
I have a chap here that can sort me out with some memory, but he was asking also if I needed to change the Windows to XP. He reckons Vista is rubbish and has a lot of problems. I quite like Vista! Do I need to change it? Would there be any advantage?

Fi

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts

He reckons Vista is rubbish and has a lot of problems. I quite like Vista! Do I need to change it? Would there be any advantage?

This is personal preference, with XP support expiring in 2014 I would not switch a computer to XP at this time. If you like Vista then either keep it or upgrade to Windows 7.

You do not need to change, try the added memory first.

Added memory will make your computer happier than anything else at this point. So let's do a few more steps.

Step 1.

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application. Please do not accept the trial right now. We just want to run it on demand.
  • Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.

Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts, click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process, if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

Step 2.

Run ESET Online Scan

Note: You can use either Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox for this scan.

Vista / 7 users: You will need to to right-click on the either the IE or FF icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select Run as Administrator from the context menu.

Please go here then click on: Posted Image

If using Mozilla Firefox you will need to download esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe when prompted then double click on it to install.
All of the following instructions work with either Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox.

• Select the option YES, I accept the Terms of Use then click on: Posted Image
  • When prompted allow Add-On/Active X to install.
  • Make sure that the option Scan archives is checked.
  • Now click on Advanced Settings and select the following:
    • Scan for potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth Technology
  • Now click on: Posted Image
  • The virus signature database will begin to download. Be patient this make take some time depending on the speed of your Internet Connection.
  • When completed the Online Scan will begin automatically. The scan may take several hours.
  • Do not touch either the Mouse or keyboard during the scan otherwise it may stall.
  • When completed select Uninstall application on close, make sure you copy the logfile first!
  • Now click on: Posted Image
  • Use notepad to open the logfile located at C:\Program Files\ESET\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt.
  • Copy and paste that log as a reply to this topic.

Step 3.

Security Check
Download Security Check by screen317 from here or here.

Save it to your Desktop.
Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

Step 4.

Please post:

mbam log
eset log
security check log

Please give me an update on how your computer is doing!

Firecow

Firecow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Here's the 3 reports.
I'll go and have a little surf now, and report back in a bit on how it's working....

Attached Files

Firecow

Firecow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
My 'add ons' on freemeteo.com still cannot be added on!

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Step 1.

Click Start >> Control Panel >> Add/Remove Programs
Uninstall the following Java products:

Java™ 6 Update 26
Java™ 6 Update 7

Step 2.

Recently there have been vulnerabilities detected in older versions of Adobe Reader. It is strongly suggested that you update to the current version.

Uninstall all previous versions.
Download the latest version from: http://www.adobe.com.../readstep2.html

If you already have Adobe Photoshop® Album Starter Edition installed or do not wish to have it installed UNcheck the box which says Also Download Adobe Photoshop® Album Starter Edition.

Step 3.

Try internet explorer with add-ons disabled at the sites that are a problem and let me know what happens.

Click Start >> All Programs >>Accessories >> System Tools >> Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)

Firecow

Firecow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Morning again
I have uninstalled those 2 javas. Adobe was already updated and the old ones deleted a few days ago. I disabled the add ons, but freemeteo still keeps telling me it can't add on the add ons.
I'm having a lot of problems today, in fact my computer has gone back to the good old days of dialup! It's taking several minutes to change a page, and it keeps giving me the message that the websites cannot respond. Then it does a Windows check for a solution to the problem. I can't open this forum at all, I'm using somebody else's computer to get a message back to you now. Chrome keeps telling me 'oops something has gone wrong, cannot open the web page'
Help me help me please :)

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Step 1.

OK next we will check the disc and then the system files:
  • On the desktop click the My Computer icon
  • Right click your main drive (I am on C) and select properties
  • Select the tools tab
  • Select error checking
  • Place a tick in both boxes
  • Press start
  • You will get a warning that it needs to reboot to continue
  • Allow it to do so

Posted Image

Once completed

Step 2.

Run an elevated command prompt
Go to Start, All programs, Accessories
Right click command prompt and select run as administrator
Posted Image

In the black box that opens type or copy and paste the following command and press enter:

sfc /scannow

Posted Image

Step 3.

Download and Install Combofix

Download ComboFix from one of the following locations:

Link 1
Link 2

VERY IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop * IMPORTANT - Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools. If you have difficulty properly disabling your protective programs, refer to this link here

Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
Accept the disclaimer and allow to update if it asks

Posted Image

Posted Image

When finished, it produces a log for you.
Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply.

Notes:
1. Do not mouse-click Combofix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.
2. Do not "re-run" Combofix. If you have a problem, reply back for further instructions

Please make sure you include the combo fix log in your next reply as well as describe how your computer is running now

After the run you may have internet problems or access to something problems. Simply reboot the computer.

Step 4.

Please post:

Combofix.txt

Please update me on your computer issues.

Advertisements

Firecow

Firecow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Google Chrome is suddenly working excellently. IE is not really useable. It's still taking several minutes to change a page. Start up is quick, shut down is slow!

Attached Files

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Please download the program Windows Repair (all in one) from this site
Install the program and run it
Posted Image
Go to the start repairs tab and click start.
It will offer to set a restore point, and to back up the registry, please allow it to do so.
On the repair options screen I would like you to uncheck the following options:
  • Repair MDAC & MS Jet
  • Repair Hosts File
  • Repair Missing Start Menu Icons Removed By Infections
  • Repair Icons
  • Repair Windows Sidebar/Gadgets
  • Repair MSI (Windows Installer)
  • Repair Windows Snipping Tool
  • Repair .lnk (Shortcuts) File Association
  • Repair Windows Safe Mode
Leave all the others checked, tick the Restart/Shutdown System when finished box and click Start

Let me know the outcome of this fix please.

Firecow

Firecow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hello there
That seems to have done a lot of fixing! It's mostly running well, although it couldn't add an addon for this site just now, and freemeteo still cannot get it add ons. But actually is that important? Am I missing something if I don't have things added on?

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts

But actually is that important?

I went to the site with Internet Explorer in safe mode (no addons) and it was fine.

Am I missing something if I don't have things added on?

Based on my test I would say not missing anything.

What issues remain now that we did some fixing?

Firecow

Firecow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
The only thing now then is how do I reset my proxy settings for the iplayers? The IP address and other numbers are not there anymore. I guess I need to find that information again and re enter the figures?
Apart from that it seems to be all good again :)