Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Runscanner report? [Solved]

• Please log in to reply

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,448 posts
Which web browsers do you use and which one is your default?

If you use more than one do they all stutter?

Which one(s) have Bing that you want removed?

Regards,

CompCav

Advertisements

Firecow

Firecow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I mostly use IE, sometimes I use Chrome. Yes in the morning they are both quite stuttery, but that's not a new problem, it's always been like that (for several years!) The Bing search suddenly appeared on IE. I haven't noticed it on Chrome and I'm not sure how to find it there? I found it from Tools, Internet options, Search. It says Bing - Default - Not available. But it still gave me search results with Bing.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,448 posts
To change the default search engine in Internet Explorer 9 to Google go here and follow the directions.

To change your default search engine in Chrome go here and follow the directions.

After this please let me know what issues remain.

Firecow

Firecow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hello there
Sorted out my Bing problem - thank you for that.
Over the last couple of days I've had a couple of big freezes where it gives me that low tone beep and then won't do anything, I've had several 'cannot display the webpage', and it seems to need to be doing a lot of 'thinking'. By that I mean, it makes that constant crunching noise and the red light is on a lot and the circle that revolves when it's changing a page seems to last a long time. Do you think these could all be mainly lack of memory issues? If so, I'll go and see our computer chap here and buy some. I think I can install it myself right? I just need to open up the box and plug it in - in a nutshell!

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,448 posts

Do you think these could all be mainly lack of memory issues? If so, I'll go and see our computer chap here and buy some. I think I can install it myself right? I just need to open up the box and plug it in - in a nutshell!

Memory would help and I would like you to get some. It is relatively easy to install. You can do it yourself, your owners manual may have detailed instructions but here is an example.

When you get it in and try it out please come back to tell me if any other symptoms remain.

Regards,

CompCav

Firecow

Firecow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hello CompCav
Ok I'll do that. It might take me a few days to get it sorted, but I'll come back and let you know after I've done it. Ta ra for the minute :)

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,448 posts
:thumbsup:

Firecow

Firecow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hello there CompCav
I've been having a right old time trying to get my memory sorted. My computer lad came over last week with something similar to what was recommended and it seems that this computer cannot take 4 mb (or is it kb??) memory. Somewhere on here he showed me that it can only take a maximum of 2. He's having a lot of trouble finding me compatable memory here in Bulgaria. So he's just been this afternoon and put in an extra 1mb (now it's up to 1.5) and he's going to bring another 1mb when he can find one. Anyway, it does already seem much smoother than it has done for a long time. It's also stopped all the crunching and grinding and thinking noises. The red light seems to be flickering rather than constantly lit. I'll see how it is in the morning, that's always been a problem time for it. The lad will come round again when he's found another bit of memory at some point. I just need to keep waiting. Welcome to Eastern Europe!
If anything exciting happens I'll let you know

:)

Fiona

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,448 posts
Fiona,

Thank you for the update and the amount of memory is in gigabytes or thousands of megabytes and the added memory should have helped as you noticed! I am glad that it did and the changes in performance are exactly what you should see with additional memory.

Regards,

CompCav