Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading to USB2.0

• Please log in to reply

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
I wanted to upgrade to a faster coneection so I could use it for an external drive to backup data. I assume I could just purchase a card and install it but I am not sure as to weather or not it would improve my current ports[refering to USB here] as there are 2 in the front. Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
Are you asking if your current USB ports are 2.0?

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
If you have an older model, they usually have only 1.1, and upgrading would be ideal but if you do, go with firewire as the speeds are much faster....there are ways of finding out if your ports are 1.1 or 2.0

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Currently I have 4 USB 1 ports two of which reside on the front of the PC and the other two on the rear. I noticed when at stores the cards weather they be from 2 to 6 ports all
were on the rear.[right into the card] When I upgrade I still would like for there to be 2 ports on the front so I could easily insert a scanner or external drive.[ most likely though I would need at least need USB2.0 for the scanner but maybe I could get even both]

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
you can get a usb 2.0 for the back and get an extension and run it to the front. You can go to best buy and get a usb hub.

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
What is this extension and how can I hook it up?

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
Your going to need a usb 2.0 pci card installed first.

http://www.pcstats.c...?articleID=1021

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Ok so after I do purchase and install a USB2.0 pci card then I need a hub to move it to the front? There isn't a way to install the pci card and run it through the case to the slot in the front.

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
you can probably get a memcard reader that has built in usb for the front but the way you hook things up to the front is a litttle different and i think that the pci is better.

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
So there is no way to have front and back at the same time then?

Also will I need to get rid of the current ports or will they still be usable.

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
you can have front and back get pci for the back and for the front
get a mem card reader with built in usb2.0
or
get the hub to go to the front on the outside.

The front will hook up like a floppy drive. if you have a floppy the cord connecting it to the motherboard has another slot on the cord to add something else

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Alright then I can have both.

I was checking around and I found that there is a cord that runs from the two slots in the front to the motherboard.