Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 7 64bit home premium will not sleep or shutdow?

• Please log in to reply

Nosword

Nosword

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,
Im new so thanks for taking the time to read this.

Win 7 64 bit will not go in to sleep mode and will not shut down unless power removed.
Even tried putting in a USB drive OS running Linux Ubuntu. Same problem computer works ok but will not sleep or shut down on command.

This made me think that it was OS independent so I went to the BIOS. Changed every relevant command suggested by settings and re entered any correct commands while I was at it. No change! Updated the BIOS using system tool and manual download Re Flashed, it even though manufacturer warns this can be dangerous?! No Change??

Nothing I have done seams to effect it!

the whole problem began with small infection that interrupted 2 computers, a win 7 32 bit and a win 7 64 bit. Used virus cleaner and both worked. Win 32 bit never any problems again. Win 7 64 Bit as above

I use my computer for a lot of automated processes and it needs to be able to wake and sleep automatically keeping the information gained.

system
MS Windows & Home Premium 64-Bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i7 860 @ 2.80GHz Lynfield 45nm Tecnology
Ram
8.0 GB Kingston dual-Channel DDR3 @ 660MHz
Motherboard
Gigabyte Tech. P55-UD3 (socket 1156)
Graphics
2816MB GeForce GTS 250 (ASUStek Comp Inc)
Hard Drives
2000 GB Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166 ATA Device (IDE)
3000 GB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 ATA Device (IDE)
1000 GB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00E8B0 ATA Device (IDE) (main drive ie. C/ drive)
1000 GB Western Digital WDC WD10EAVS-00M4B0 ATA Device (IDE)

Can any body suggest something that could help please?
Sorry if info is not in the correct format as this is my first time on this forum.

Thank you for your time and the ideas I have read and tried form other posts!

Nosword http://www.geekstogo...t/confused1.gif http://www.geekstogo...lt/thumbsup.gif

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
:welcome: Nosword

As you have mentioned malware infection we must establish whether it is still present or not, this may need the assistance of the experts on the Malware forums if you cannot remove it yourself;

Please read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Additional guidance;

1: Do not create a topic on the malware forum unless you have a malware issue that you cannot resolve yourself.
2: If you do need to start a topic there provide a link to this thread so that steps that have already been taken can be checked.
3: As the Malware Techs are extremely busy you may not receive an instant reply, if you have waited for three days then post in the Waiting Room http://www.geekstogo...e-waiting-room/ be sure to identify the issue as malware related and provide a link to your malware topic.

Good luck.

Nosword

Nosword

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the reply phillpower2 :thumbsup:

Its much appreciated.
It makes sense. Something seems to be messing with the Mother Board and Video Card Drivers. Maybe??I think?? Reinstalled/updated them countless times. Dont you love all the certainty?

Will let you know how I get on. Sorry maybe bit of a wait, doing my best.

Thanks again phillpower2
Thanks
Nosword (I feel your rage) :angry: ;)

Note to all: I'm taking me more time than I would like to work on this and to respond to posts. I'm sure its unhelpful to you folks as well!!! Please forgive this if you can (serious health problems) sorry!!!!! If I take too long to respond or to deal with issues I understand posts may be closed and that is that. Sorry if I cause problems or am too slow. Thanks for the help and stuff anyway. I have had help from your site in the past just reading old posts, so cheers to you all and thanks for helping people out!!

Cheers
Nosword :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello Nosword

Following the malware self help guide was suggested as a precautionary measure after reading "the whole problem began with small infection that interrupted 2 computers" in your OP.

Please take as long as you need to between replies with this topic, your health comes first.

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup: