Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need a business laptop that is fast as lightening! HELP!

• Please log in to reply

Carina1021

Carina1021

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am running Windows 7 on a Sony Vaio laptop that is probably 2 years old. I work with PowerPoint Presentations that are about 3mb in size and have hundereds on my laptop. I also have music and other large files. I need a laptop that is fast. Going from window to window within half a second. I also use Outlook 2010 and have about 20k emails in my inbox which I need there for I reference them daily and get about 50-100 emails a day and send out over 50-100 emails a day. I have limited experience in laptops and I feel like the Best Buy consultants may not know what my needs are. Can someone please just tell me what the best laptops would be $2000 and under for me to be able to store large files (do not want to put on external drive for I use and resue them daily) While I wait to go from window to window or wait to get online my productivity plummets. I type 91 WPM and sitting there waiting for a program to respond is frustrating. Even for a file to save takes 5 seconds. I dont know what to do. Please advise. It is greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
Carina

Advertisements

Zolton33

Zolton33

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
Do you use more single threaded apps or multithreaded? I ask as with single threaded apps the intel cpu is hands hound the best. While multithreaded apps work better on an amd cpu which is also alot cheaper. A word of advise if you can put off buying one right away wait until the cyber Monday sell (happens on the Monday following black Friday) when all the online stores have their sells. It is less then a month away and could net you an even better lap top for an even cheaper price. But that is what I would do.

Carina1021

Carina1021

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Zolton33,
I don't know what thread I use. Those terms are like Chinese to me. But I was wondering if you could point me to the best laptop? I am looking at getting one of the following laptops:

Lenovo ThinkPad T420
Lenovo T430s
Sony VAIO T Series
VAIO S Series

Or other suggestions? I am used to Vaio's but I hear great things about Lenovo.

I just do not know what size processer, or other specs to ensure my laptop has strong speed.

Please advise what I should do and what specs I should get. It is greatly apprecited!

Thank you!
Carina

pingauto

pingauto

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I'll say all those laptop will do the job since this is an office computer other than of gaming or graphic designing. It will all come down to how you set up your OS. Keep eyes on your reg, auto runs, and auto starts. Most of the time is not your laptop not fast enough, but your OS is eating up all the capacity.

Carina1021

Carina1021

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Okay, will do. Thank you!