Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

new hdd in aspire one xp wont install

• Please log in to reply

sMiRnY84

sMiRnY84

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Got the hdd click of death so bought a replacement hdd (250gb sata 2.5 drive) for acer aspire one (D250) and a usb dvd drive to install my dusty old xp cd that was still kicking about.
All started well until the install program stated that it could not detect the drive to install to (bios reads it)
I think I need SCSI adapter but not sure which one I need and can I put the driver on a usb stick as I have no usb floppy drive? windows xp has a few but I am guessing they are out of date.
Does anyone where I go from here.
Many Thanks
Steven

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
The drive you took out was a SATA drive and the drive you replaced it with is a SATA drive, right?

Check to make sure the drive is in correctly and if there was an adapter on the old drive that it was moved to the new drive and is oriented correctly so the connectors line up with the connectors in the hard drive bay.

Boot the XP CD then enter R when allowed, to go to the Recovery Console.
Enter diskpart then list disk and see what that tells you. Enter exit to close out diskaprt.

sMiRnY84

sMiRnY84

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,
Says there is 3781MB on disk <there is no disk in this drive>

Will not let me create a partition only option is to delete partition and exit

List Disk does not work

thanks for the help

Steven

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Check BIOS Setup and see if the SATA controller is setup for RAID. If yes change it to AHCI or IDE then try the install again.

sMiRnY84

sMiRnY84

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
was set to AHCI, when changed to IDE crashes before bios can be loaded :/

ta

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
If it is set to AHCI Windows XP will never detect your HDD, you need to put it to IDE or install Windows 7 or worst VISTA