Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows failing to start

• Please log in to reply

TristanD47

TristanD47

• Pip
  • 5 posts
So I dug out an old laptop which has no screen in at the moment because my old one smashed and I put a windows 7 trial on. It has been working fine for the last day or two but I tried to turn it today and it comes up with a windows failed to start error so I run the startup repair, which sat for hours trying to repair the problem but eventually told me that it was unable to find any problems. So I done a windows memory diagnostic which came back fine. I can't find any way of running it in safe mode which may help because I can check my drivers. I don't have a restore point for it. It is a Toshiba satellite L300D - 11V. I can open a command prompt but unfortunately it is the one thing I have little experience with it. I have a network cable plugged in(it does have wireless but I know it won't connect in the current state).
If anyone knows how to fix this or even just a way of getting into the device manager some how it would greatly help. Thank you

EDIT: I have just managed to find safe mode(F1 then F8) but when I tried to load it, it loaded the windows files, restarted and went to the windows error recovery page again

EDIT: I just tried again but Disabled automatic restart on system failure(or something like that) and got the error...
STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Verification of a KnownDLL failed. system process terminated unexpectedly wi
th a status of 0xc000012f (0x001f02a0 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down

(Exactly what came up)

Edited by TristanD47, 27 October 2012 - 04:46 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
How to run chkdsk from the Recovery Console
  • Boot your Windows 7 installation DVD
  • When you see "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD", press Enter
  • At the "Install Windows" screen, click on Repair your computer at lower left
  • At the System Recovery Options screen, make note of the drive letter assigned to your boot drive (normally C:) and click Next
  • At the Chose a Recovery Tool window, click on Command Prompt. You will be sitting at X:\Sources directory
  • If you did not note the drive letter of your boot disk, you can enter bcdedit and look at the osdevice line to see what it is.
  • Type chkdsk c: /r and press Enter (use the letter from above if not C:).
Let either run to completion undisturbed.

If that doesn't fix it, see here: How to Run a Startup Repair in Windows 7

TristanD47

TristanD47

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I know how to run a system repair(which does disk check) which I have already tried as I stated in my original post and as I said before, it sat for hours and found nothing wrong. Also I do not get the option "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD", it was the first thing I looked for. I took the HD out and pluged it into my pc, done a complete format and plugged it back into my laptop and installed ubuntu (which I have never tried before but just wanted something free to test out the laptop). So no worries, have a problem with ubuntu though and as I am a windows geek I have no idea how to fix ubuntu so I will make a new post for it.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Are you sure Repair does a chkdsk? I can't find anything that says that specifically? Do you have a link I can read over?

I'd still suggest doing the chkdsk /r as I suggested. All it takes is some time. Won't hurt and may fix something. You could also run sfc /scannow if chkdsk doesn't fix the problem.

Once you boot to a Command Prompt, you can also use the dir command to see if you can actually see the hard drive contents.

Also some good info here: Blue Screen Error: c000021a Fatal System Error