Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cleaning up Windows 7 Home

• Please log in to reply

Janis

Janis

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
First donation of a pc with Windows 7 and it's NEW!! That would be a plus but I am wondering how to remove all unwanted bloatware on Win 7? I have no familiarity with it and it will take some time to get used to it but I would like to remove Nortons and some other items. Where do I start? We will try setting it up this afternoon but before assigning it's use, I'd like to clean it up. Does Revo Uninstaller (free version on XP) work with Win7?

Advertisements

mysoul

mysoul

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Yes REVO does work with W.7.

you can clean up bloatware AFTER the system is set up and running.

There are some programs like decrapifier http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/

but i always prefer to do the job myself manually.

İ would recommend that you take an image of the entire system before you proceed with the cleanup

just in case you delete something that later on you wish you hadn't.

Also creating a system restore point will be good.

Edited by mysoul, 29 October 2012 - 08:04 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Further to mysoul's suggestions.
When you have the image of the OS drive, create a recovery disk.
Revo has 4 options for removal, I only use the third.
When installing programs, where possible select manual install, then select only the parts you want. When installed, look carefully through the program for, settings, options, the help tab. I want as much control as possible how the system runs so, do I want a program to start with window? Office? No. check for updates at start? Office? no, virus scanner? yes. You can do similar for windows components.
I do not use Registry cleaners, programs that promise to make the system run faster or optimisers, those type of programs often do more harm than good.
When you have everything set as you want, do another system image.