Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Sound

• Please log in to reply

Aspall38

Aspall38

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I've yet to determine what caused the problem is exactly, but thought perhaps hardware might be worth a try!

I have no sound on my laptop. The sound icon has dissappeared from the taskbar. It appears when i first start the pc, but dissappears fairly quickly.

In device manager it shows High definition audio device (i thought this was called ATI something before hand, but appears to have changed?)

I've updated the drivers and according to this they are both working correctly.

In control panel i can only access the volume mixer, but it says no device is installed. I cannot click on "manage devices" or "change system sounds"

I also have no "windows audio" or similar in the services. I've tried stopping/starting anything that looks fairly audio associated.

I really have no idea what to do? I thought it may be a registry key that had been deleted when i was cleanign the pc of malware etc, as it dissappeared on a reboot, and hasn't come back. the same happened with my webcam not long after i first got the laptop. I don't believe the hardware is damamged, but i don't really know what else it could be, so any ideas are welcome!

Aspall

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts
Hi Aspall38,
Sorry to hear about the sound issue with your computer.
A quick way to establish if its a hardware issue or a Windows/driver issue is to try a different operating system. A live distro of Linux Puppy is a good starting point as it's not much more than a download of around 100Mb(nevertheless a broadband Internet connection is best for the download.)

Burn the CD/DVD as an image (ImgBurn is good for this) and run it as a live disc... it will run happily in memory(RAM)
Follow onscreen directions...Puppy should load the correct sound drivers for you automatically.... if you hear sound then you know your hardware is Ok and its likely a driver issue in Windows.
Imgburn available from here:
http://www.imgburn.c...hp?act=download
Puppy available from here:
http://www.puppylinux.com/download/
Regards
paws