Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't open link in IE or Firefox

• Please log in to reply

aaaa44

aaaa44

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
I can't open some links with either IE or Firefox. I use Firefox, and every time that a link requires IE to open IE fails to open the link. So when I click on the link, a window pops up saying that in order to open the link that the computer will have to connect to the internet. When I click to choose to connect to the internet to open the link IE opens up and on the IE page there's a message saying that it failed to open the link. Sorry, I don't remember the wording of the message. At other times when I click to open a link a window comes up saying :"Opening M176009 (or whatever), you have chosen to open M176009 which is a :Adobe Acrobat Document from .....com. What should Firefox do with this file?" And there are the options to either "save file" or "open with" and there is a long list of programs listed to open the file with. When I choose either to save the file or open it with Firefox or IE the downloaded files window comes up and when I click on the downloaded file from there I get a blank screen. Thanks for any replies.

Edited by aaaa44, 29 October 2012 - 01:33 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Are you saying you are using Firefox and click on a link that requires IE??? Not sure I understand, unless you are using the IETab Add-on for Firefox.

If so remove it and reinstall it and see if that helps.

If not, provide a link so we can check it out.

aaaa44

aaaa44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
When I double click to download a file, for example an advertising circular from a store, a window saying "Opening m1760009_rebate.. You have chosen to open m1760009_rebate..." comes up. In this window are the options to either open with one of a list of programs including IE and Firefox and the option to save the file. When I click to save the file the downloads screen comes up, and when I double click the file from there a new tab is created with a blank screen. When I choose instead to open the file with Firefox from the original window not the downloads window I get a blank tab. At one point I click the save option in some window and My Documents comes up as a location to save to. When I save to My Documents an icon for the file is saved there, but when I double click on it nothing comes up. I have never used an IETab Add-on for Firefox. I always use the Firefox browser when connected to the internet. I never use IE. My o/s is Windows XP Home. I use a wifi connection. There have been many times in the past where I have clicked to open a file while using Firefox and a window pops up saying that to find the file it will be necessary to search for it online. When I click ok to search IE launches and I get a message saying that the file cannot be found. Also, I am not able to connect to the internet with IE, only with Firefox. Thanks for any replies.

Edited by aaaa44, 01 November 2012 - 11:33 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Try booting to Safe Mode with Networking then see if the same thing occurs. If yes then I think you should ask this in the Firefox support forum.

aaaa44

aaaa44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
In order to boot in safe mode I turn the computer off and as it restarts I continually press F8, correct? What is Networking?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
F8 takes you to the Advanced Boot Options Menu. Safe Mode and Safe Mode with Networking are two of the choices on that menu.

Did you say your OS is XP Home? If so this discussion should really be in the XP forum. It's here though, so ...

This is what the Advanced Boot Options Menu looks like for XP.