Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Triage: White Screen, but full function otherwise.

• Please log in to reply

besteh

besteh

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, thanks for taking the time to read this. I have a bit of a quandary which I hope someone may find a good challenge..

I have a Sony laptop, VGN-CR11Z, that when turned on, POSTs, and starts up as normal, with sound and mouse/keyboard functionality throughout. The issue is that when initially turned on, the LCD backlight fires up, and then stays at 50% for the duration of start-up, going full power white (with vague lines visible when viewed at an angle) when the music plays.

The end user reported that at first the screen went hazy, but when flexed back and forth on the hinges the display returned to normality and this continued for a couple of months. Until the situation I describe above occurred. The laptop was given to a semi-pro laptop technician, who said the screen was fine, but the GFX was clearly the problem as the VGA display port does not work either.

The question is, would this be the cause of the problem? and if so, is this the end of the laptop? As the laptop has a mobility radeon x2300 GFX card, independent of the onboard Intel chipset, so surely if I can access the BIOS at startup, I can change the GFX source?

If it isnt, or might not be, could it say be an inverter issue? I was assured the ribbon cable was checked by the PC tech, and I'm inclined to believe him. So! Your thoughts?

I would appreciate any input on this.

Cheers

Richard

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
:welcome: besteh

The first thing that I suggest you do is confirm yourself whether or not the VGA display port works by connecting the VGA port to an external screen and press the Fn and the F7 key down together while the notebook is powered up.

The issue is that when initially turned on, the LCD backlight fires up, and then stays at 50% for the duration of start-up, going full power white (with vague lines visible when viewed at an angle) when the music plays.

This is a typical symptom of a bad inverter as what the inverter does is control the amount of power that the backlight receives, not enough the screen is dark, too much the screen is very bright or white, it is not conclusive though as it could also be a loose or damaged MB to display wire/ribbon.

The end user reported that at first the screen went hazy, but when flexed back and forth on the hinges the display returned to normality

This also suggests a loose or damaged MB to display wire/ribbon so after checking the VGA port out I would inspect this.