Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need Help - Toshiba Satellite A500-S6014 won't boot makes screamin

• Please log in to reply

Diverjonathan

Diverjonathan

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a Toshiba Satellite A505-S6014 that is now making and when it does it locks up and won't boot.What ever is causing this is locking up my computer and stopping Windows from loading normally.

I was looking online for help, I came across this video below where this guy shows how to "reset" your laptop to factory specs. But, the noise heard here is the same one that my laptop is making. I was not trying to reset my computer nor did I press the "0" and Pwr key at the same time. I reloaded a piece of software, Microsoft SQL Server 5.x Compact Edition because there seemed to be an issue with it. when this software load completed I started having issues. Some sort of "Toshiba" software popped up across the top of the screen, there were 8 to 10 icons. I had thought it was "Toshiba Assist" or some part of it. Anyway I have tried all basic troubleshooting techniques I can think of including replacing the HD and reloading the factory software. My repair CD's would not work so I dropped the $30 bucks and purchased the "Toshiba Recovery Media for Satellite A500 Series" Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. did this help? NO. When I try to boot some times it work and most of the time it screams and locks up, this frys the OS and then needs to be repaired. when it does boot if I try to type I get lines of "oooooooooooooooooooooooo" that just won't quit. Does the logic board have a actual reset button?

Help from the Net.

"Toshiba Satellite Recovery to Factory Settings Tutorial" - "Press down on 0 and power on the laptop" The noise starts at about 0.36 Sec in and stops at 0.54 Secs in. This is the same noise I hear all the time now, it won't stop and locks it up or when it does boot I can't do anything.

There are no keys being held down. I unhooked the keyboard and it still makes the "noise". Which is why I've started looking here for answers, my troubleshooting tree ran out of branches so to speak. The laptop keyboard is disabled at start up it would appear, the only way to do anything is after POST/boot with a USB keyboard but again I try to type I get lines of "oooooooooooooooooooooooo". The track pad seems to work fine. It would seem to have something to do with the keyboard.

I tried getting help from Toshiba and Here's what I was told at "http://forums.toshiba.com"

"I'd suggest you have it serviced"
That noise is made when the computer continually receives keyboard input and it's not ready for it (such as when first booting), or when too many keys are held down at once. Assuming you're not holding down a bunch of keys, it sounds like your laptop may require servicing.

I'm trying to avoid a bill larger then the cost of a new laptop so any help you can provide would be great. Thanks

Advertisements

mgabriel

mgabriel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Two possibility:

1. The CPU fan jumped bearings and needs to be replaced or

2: the hard drive has mechanical failure parts

Diverjonathan

Diverjonathan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the suggestion,
I tried replacing the HD, did not fix.
checked the fan and it's working as it should.
Unplugged the fan.
unhooked the internal (laptop) keyboard and used USB keyboard.
reinstalled the OS (Win 7)

None of these helped, the condition still remains.

Anyone know if the logic board has a hard reset button on it?
If so where is it located?
Thanks again for the suggestions.

Diverjonathan

Diverjonathan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have posted on a couple of forums to try and find help.

Most think it has something to do with the Keyboard and I sort of agree, But so that you know what else I have tried,

- I tried replacing the Hitachi 500GB HD, did not fix.
- Removed All external devices including the Keyboard, DVD-RW Drive, Battery, Memory and HD. Did not fix.
- Checked the fan and it's working as it should.
- Unplugged the fan. did not fix.
- Unhooked the internal (laptop) keyboard and used USB keyboard. did not fix.
- Reinstalled the OS (Win 7) did not fix.

- Have tried booting from a number of other Boot CD's, like UBCD and some other tools that I own. They also did not make any difference.

None of these helped, the condition still remains. I still think that this is a result of something that I did when pushing Key on the Keyboard somehow. There were no signs of any Logic board/Mother board or HD issues prior to this happening, no crashes, lock-ups, Blue screens... nothing.

Anyone know if the logic board has a hard reset button on it?
If so where is it located?
Thanks again for the suggestions.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,306 posts
That noise is from the main board receiving a signal from the keyboard key. If you hold a key to long it will eventually emit that noise. Since you removed the keyboard, I would now say that the board is locked up. There should be a battery that you can unplug. I don't know if there is a jumper to remove battery power or not. The noise is coming through the speaker.

Diverjonathan

Diverjonathan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
That's kind of the way I feel. Actually the "noise" is coming through both speakers.
The questions is where on the logic board is the battery or jumper to remove battery power? and I agree it would appear that the board is "locked up" somehow.
I just don't know how to Un-Lock it.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,306 posts
All I could find is a user manual that referenced the RTC battery. I have been unable to locate a service manual.

User Manual

Diverjonathan

Diverjonathan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Dude, Thank you. I too have been looking and not found a service manual. just the user manual and it's no help at all.
If anyone knows where I can find one please let me know.
I have to go work on our tile floor but I will post an update when I am done.

Diverjonathan

Diverjonathan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well, it came down to pure econimics. Keep working to try and figure out why or have someone else repair it. Not that I'm doughting another techs abilities because I'm not, it's more of "How much is this going to cost me"?

Toshiba (out of warranty);
"Nonrefundable Diagnostic" Fee $119.00 and $30.00 shipping/Handling fee.
"Minor Repair" $229.00 This includes replacing the touchpad, keyboard, CD/DVD, or Memory (Ram)
"Major Repair" $354.00 This includes repair or replacement of the LCD or Motherboard.
for me the total would be $503.00 Plus tax if they charge it.

Local Tech Support;
Diagnostic fee of $89.00
$354.00 for a Logic Board (motherboard) With issues like this were they are really hard to figure out, "normally" a business won't want to waste a techs time to "figure out" whats really wrong they will just replace the part,it's faster and cheaper in the long run for them and the customer.
Plus tax (9%)
Total $487.30 (ish)

So in the end I guess it was kinda a no brainer after almost 5 weeks of screwing around with this and adding up the costs and when I hit the battery soldered down issue it became clear that I was not going to fix this myself.

Online;
I looked at a lot of ads and web pages, made a lot of calls, asked a lot of anoing questions that sales staff could not answer because they don't know the products they sell or just don't care.
Finally I ran into a lady who cared about and knew her products, turns out she was a sales manager. She actuall got up out of her chair and went and checked a box for me.
I was able to purchase the excact same board I had! (HannStar J MV-4) All because someone cared enough to check for me she made a sale.
Compuvest Corp (http://www.compuvest.com/)
Paid $150.52 including Shipping/Handling comes with a 180 day warranty.
The best price I found was eBay $115.00 plus $20 for S&H or $135.00.

All in All and interesting experience that I'd rather not repeat, but I did learn a few things through it.

Thanks for your suggestions and support
jonathan.