Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What's the fastest free backup software available?

• Please log in to reply

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I have a setup like this: Windows 7 installed on a 60GB SSD, a 1.5TB data drive (holds my games and large files,) and a free second 1.5TB drive.

I've had problems with RAID setups with my motherboard, so I stopped considering it. I have, at the moment, a system image of the C drive (the SSD) saved on the free hard drive, and I want to back up my data drive to it also. The system image didn't take long through Windows Backup, because it's only 40GB in size (~25GB after compression and things like pagefile.sys removed.) But I couldn't backup my data drive in any reasonable time through Windows Backup. A lot of people have said this on other forums, and the problem seems to increase almost exponentially with the total file size. It might have taken days to back up my 500GB of data.

I calculated that at my normal copying speeds (~40Mb/s,) I could copy my data drive in about 3.5 hours, but nothing seems to be able to even double that time. I'm trying a program "Genie Timeline," and after almost 2 hours, it's only at %10.

My question is: is there a free backup program that can compete with Window's normal copying speeds? I don't care if there is no compression: for the next few months at least, I can't keep my computer on for 10 hours at a time unattended (or keep it on overnight.)

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
There are many programs out there. I use a program called "syncback". It is free and you can copy folders or individual files.

Syncback

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Sounds good! Only two questions:

• How fast is it?
  • Can it do "live" backups (ie, copying changes as they're made?)