Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't start after trying to reinstall Windows

• Please log in to reply

Peter6067

Peter6067

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I had some trouble with my Dell Studio not being able to run any videos at all. So, after trying everything else, including having my computer savvy son in law trying, I put that factory disc in that is supposed to make everything go away but the factory programing. Well, that worked. But now I try to reinstall Windows the thing pops up with a message that "Your computer restarted unexpectedly. Press Okay to restart your computer and reinstall Windows." So I press okay, the computer restarts and then, in a moment it says "your computer restarted unexpectedly blah blah"

Do any smart people have an idea? Do I need a new hard drive? Do I need to sacrifice a goat to The Computer God? Put a contract out on Bill Gates?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
:welcome: Peter6067

There are various model name/numbers of the Dell Studio such as the XPS, 1555, 1558 etc so can you tell us the exact details for yours.

after trying everything else, including having my computer savvy son in law trying, I put that factory disc in that is supposed to make everything go away but the factory programing

What was tried and what sort of disk was used please.

Peter6067

Peter6067

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Phil, I have a Studio XPS 435T. The disc I put in was the Windows XP, and here I am in the wrong part of this fourum, shows how little I really know. When the thing started it's round of restarting unexpectedly, press okay, over and over I tried restarting in safe mode, I tried pushing F8 and F12 and the other "F" buttons. Then I tried cursing and prayer. I cannot build a bonfire to sacrifice a goat due to the burn ban with the drouth and all.

I'm not particularly literate about computers but all I want to to get news and videos, along with pictures of the grandkids.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hello Peter

Is the disk that you put in a Dell branded XP disk, this makes a difference as there are Dell specific drivers on Dell branded disks, among these drivers are the vital chipset drivers, if you need Dell drivers http://www.dell.com/...fkey=Drivers_PS and the correct installation procedure http://support.dell....4&isLegacy=true

Is the boot order set in the BIOS to CD/DVD drive first and the HDD second.

Peter6067

Peter6067

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes, all the discs are from the box when the Brown Truck of Presents (UPS) brought the computer. I cannot get the computer to stay on long enough to go to these http://supportdell widget you have.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Please press F2 when the Dell logo appears, keep pressing it every few seconds until the message Entering Setup appears on the screen, if you are successful then change the boot sequence to CD/DVD drive first and the HDD second, once done save the changes (normally F10) and then Y to accept the changes.

Let us know how you get on please.

Peter6067

Peter6067

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank You, Phil. Am I supposed to have a disc in there and, if so, which one? I shall try this tomorrow when I'm banished from the living room.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hello Peter

Having looked at the specs for the computer can I ask was the original installed OS Vista but consequently replaced with XP, see specs http://support.dell..../P368KA00MR.pdf

Once the boot sequence has been changed and saved in the BIOS you place the correct installation disk in the CD/DVD drive and then restart the computer.

Peter6067

Peter6067

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
No, the original was Windows XP Home Edition. Please do not ask why I'm in this forum rather than the XP forum, except I don't understand much about computers, or, as I call them, confusers.

So far, trying to follow your directions, or that Setup guide you sent me, I still can not get past the "Your computer restarted unexpectedly...". Perhaps it is that I am not computer savvy enough to understand it, perhaps I am not explaining the problem well enough. At any rate, it has driven me to distraction.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
No worries however I had to ask as the specs at the link clearly show Vista as the OS but I remembered that you had said previously;

Phil, I have a Studio XPS 435T. The disc I put in was the Windows XP, and here I am in the wrong part of this fourum,

Please see the attached images below which show what your disk should look like, can you let us know if your disk looks like one of those three disks + confirm that the following procedure has been carried out;

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS;

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the BIOS/CMOS
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CD/DVD drive
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will be prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

Peter6067

Peter6067

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have the purple one that says VISTA, but then I also have the shiny silver one that says XP Home Edition. No wonder I'm confused. Of course the XP Home Edition disc may be from one of the other computers I've killed. Anyhow, I'll try this set of instructions after my nap that is overdue. The fun thing is that next comes me trying to make my laptop start. Meanwhile, thanks for your effort.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Do both disks have the Dell logo on them.

Peter6067

Peter6067

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The Windows XP Home Edition has the Microsoft logo only. That must be the one that goes on the laptop that no longer starts.

The Vista has the Dell logo.

When I try to reboot the system it never gets to where it's counting up memory, instead I get that stupid "Your computer restarted unexpectedly" thing.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS;

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the BIOS/CMOS
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CD/DVD drive
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will be prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

Have you done this please.