Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gradual deterioration resulting in black screen and text

• Please log in to reply

kittyk

kittyk

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
I have two computers and although I suspected my main one had a virus some months ago, I couldn't deal with it so switched to the laptop except for loading photos. When I turned on the main one again, the Dell Dimension 5000, Windows XP, it had given up the ghost. The sccreen had turned black and it said-
Windows could not start because of an error in the software. Please report problem as load needed DLLS for kernel. Please contact your support person to report this problem.

I think the problem started when the AVG anti-virus seems to have failed and the computer wouldn't even be directed to the AVG website-like it didn't exist.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hi there and sorry for the delay

Please print these instruction out so that you know what you are doing

• Download OTLPENet.exe to your desktop
  • Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.
  • Ensure that you have a blank CD in the drive
  • Double click OTLPENet.exe and this will then open imgburn to burn the file to CD
  • Reboot your system using the boot CD you just created.
    Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
  • As the CD needs to detect your hardware and load the operating system, I would recommend a nice cup of tea whilst it loads :)
  • Your system should now display a Reatogo desktop.
    Note : as you are running from CD it is not exactly speedy
  • Insert the flash drive with FRST on it
  • Locate the flash drive and run FSRT
  • The tool will start to run.
    Posted Image
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

kittyk

kittyk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Thank you for replying Essex Boy!
As I am an actual idiot, could you tell me how to download that when the screen is black and I can't do anything?
Where is the easiest place to buy a flashdrive? Maplins or something?
The main thing I want to do on that computer is to retrieve my un-backed up photos and videos-is there much chance do you think?
P.S I am on my other computer obviously.

Thanks

Edited by kittyk, 05 November 2012 - 10:00 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK can the computer you are using now burn a CD ?

If so burn the CD on this computer and then use it to boot the sick computer, this will give you access to all your files and photos
Then On the CD with OTLPE burn the FRST file to the same disc

kittyk

kittyk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
No-it's a small laptop with no cd drive. I could probably borrow someone elses but they are a way for another week. I will have a think.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK lets try and get it on to a USB drive

IMPORTANT:
You will need a flash drive with a size of 512 Mb or bigger. Make sure that you do not leave anything important on the flash drive, as all data on it will be deleted during the following steps.

• Download OTLPEStd.exe from the following link and save it to your Desktop: mirror1.
    • Download eeepcfr.zip from the following link and save it to your Desktop: the mirror
    • Finally, if you do not have a file archiver like 7-zip or Winrar installed, please download 7-zip from the following link and install it: the mirror
  • Once you have 7-zip install, decompress OTLPEStd.exe by rightclicking on the folder and choosing the options shown in the picture below. Please use a dedicated folder, for example OTLPE, on your Desktop

Posted Image

• Open the folder OTLPEStd which will be created in the same location as OTLPEStd.exe and right-click OTLPE_New_Std.iso. Select 7-Zip and from the submenu select Extract files... and extract the content onto your Desktop in a OTLPE folder:

Posted Image

• Please also decompress eeepcfr to your systemroot (usually C:\).
  • Empty the flash drive you want to install OTLPE on.
  • Go to C:\eeecpfr and double-click usb_prep8.cmd to launch it.
  • Press any key when asked to in the black window that opens.
  • As indicated in the image, make sure you have selected the correct flash drive, before proceeding.
    For Drive Label: type in OTLPE.
    Under Source Path to built BartPE/WinPE Files click ... and select the folder OTLPE that you created on your Desktop.
    Finally check Enable File Copy.

Posted Image

• Click on Start, accept the disclaimers and wait for the program to finish.
Your bootable flash drive should now be ready!

kittyk

kittyk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Thank you-will go and buy a usb drive today-anything else I need while I'm at it?

Edited by kittyk, 06 November 2012 - 02:24 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Nope, I don't think so. Once we can get into the system then I can put my tools to work

kittyk

kittyk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Ok-I bought a flash drive yesterday and started downloading the links you gave me last night but will have to do it in fits and starts as away from my computer for most of the next day or so. I did end up accidentally downloading that video download converter tool bar-how do I get rid of that? :-)

kittyk

kittyk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Ok-I bought a flash drive yesterday and started downloading the links you gave me last night but will have to do it in fits and starts as away from my computer for most of the next day or so. I did end up accidentally downloading that video download converter tool bar-how do I get rid of that? :-)

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
I can remove anything that is left on the computer, after you have uninstalled it by using OTL. We can do that at the ssme time if you wish

kittyk

kittyk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
I have just realised that the things I downloaded last night did not save to my desktop-in my head I must have thought they did automatically as I didn't notice the option. Do I do them again? Thought I would check with you first as the first one took 17 mins to download

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Have a look in your downloads folder they may be there

kittyk

kittyk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Yes they are there-just annoying that they didn't go to the desktop. I will try to crack on with this tomorrow.
Where I now have the umwanted toolbar, my google homepage has also been replaced by another weird american google search thing which is ultra annoying!

Edited by kittyk, 09 November 2012 - 05:34 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Go to control panel > Internet options and reset the page there