Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I NEED HELP

• Please log in to reply

imsolost

imsolost

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I want to buy a computer to play games on it. I have no idea what the [bleep] i need or should be looking for. If someone could please help me by telling me what i would need to run most games. Im not looking to spend like 2 grand i just want most games to run smooth and look half way descent.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
:welcome: imsolost

You will get more for your money if you either build your own purchase the parts and pay a local tech to build it for you.

Would you build your own and where in the world will you be purchasing parts or a computer.

imsolost

imsolost

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
i know nothing about computers and dont even know where to start. i would prob just buy parts and have some1 build it but i dont know what to buy and what things are good...

i was on a chat with someone and they said this wouldnt be a bad buy
http://www.bestbuy.c...&skuId=6699862#

would this computer be good to run rpg and mmo style games?

Edited by imsolost, 31 October 2012 - 03:47 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
The ASUS at your link has both good points and bad points;

Three good points are a decent CPU, 8GB of Ram and a 7200rpm 1TB HDD.

Four bad points are there are no PSU (power supply unit) details, the video card is only entry level, the speed of the Ram is unknown and the computer is not energy star certified.

Bottom line is, if you require a gaming rig then this is not it, some information as to why not below;

A good computer needs to have a balance between all major components such as the CPU, Ram, video card, HDD (+ OS) case cooling and the PSU which needs to be able to provide adequate clean and stable power, a minimum output efficiency rating of 80% is a must.

With the ASUS you would need to upgrade the present video card for a good gaming performance and this will almost certainly mean upgrading the PSU as system builders often use the bare minimum output and quality PSU in their builds in order to keep costs down.

Check out the benchmark for the video card that is fitted in the ASUS http://community.fut...e GT 620/review you get what you pay for and $55 will not buy you a video card capable of providing the gaming experience that you require.